i have a 2007 pontiac grand prix and ive changed the radiator the thermostat the water pump and my elbow pipe to stop the leaking but my car is still overheating can anybody help?

10

Asked by Jun 19, 2015 at 11:14 AM about the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

18,800

Can you see were the leak is coming from ?

10

That's the thing..... There is no leaks coming from anywhere

18,800

The anti- freeze has to be going somewhere is it smoking out of the tail pipe ?

18,800

The anti- freeze has to be going somewhere is it smoking out of the tail pipe and how often do you have to put anti- freeze in vehicle ?

10

The tail pipe not smoking it's jerking a lot but not smoking and since I've changed it a few days ago I haven't had to yet but it's not getting low so it's puzzling me

3,935

It's leaking into the engine and either accumulating in the oil pan or going out the exhaust. Check your oil. Is it a normal color or is it a milky color and possibly at a higher level than it should be? If the leaks' not too major you might be able to stop it with a can or two of Bar's Leak. Just follow the directions. It's a proven product that won't do any harm and may well save you having to tear into the engine. If the coolant's showing up in the oil you will need to change the oil. Put in something cheap, run it for about a thousand miles and then change it again. Assuming the leak has stopped you'll be good to go for a while until you either decide to fix it properly or if the car's not worth it then getting yourself into something newer.

Best Answer
10

Thanks man its just the oil is good so if I fixed all that where is the overheating coming from ? I see no leaks cause I changed everything that was leaking it's crazy it's just overheating and my radiator hoses get real tight like they about to bust

3,935

You've likely got air locked in the system. Modern GMs are extremely difficult to fill for some reason. Air gets trapped in the system and is tough to get bled out. You have to though or it will continue to overheat. You may need to take it to a shop that has a vacuum tool for drawing the fluid into the system and the air out. It will cost a few bucks but will be worth it. You probably don't have a leak at all, just fluid slowly going down as air is expelled.

10

I thought that I'm a try that first before I think of the worse and is it true the dexcool antifreeze tears up Pontiacs in time ? Cause I was hoping my heads wasn't blown

3,935

No. Dexcool is GM's recommended coolant for your car. That being said the 3.8 is prone to having gasket failures as they get older. Usually its intake gaskets but head gaskets can fail too. I fixed my intake gasket leak 3 years ago with Bar's Leak and it hasn't leaked since. May not work for you, but its an inexpensive way to attempt a fix without tearing the engine apart in an old car. You do need to get the overheating problem fixed though before you do permanent damage to your engine if you haven't already.

10

So if I can get the air out of it you think I'll be good to move it without problems

3,935

Yes, I think so. You've pretty well replaced the entire cooling system so part failure can be ruled out. There might still be internal engine leaks although the more you're telling me the less I think that's the problem. It is possible that there are other things wrong with the car that are causing it to run poorly. When you're sure the cooling system is properly filled it would be good to have the car scanned to see if there are any trouble codes that need addressing