How do I find out which cylinder is causing my transmission problems?

10

Asked by May 11, 2013 at 03:18 PM about the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

I have noticed my transmission having a hesitation for about 2 weeks. Then yesterday I was on my way home from work and driving 55 mph and all of a sudden the rpm's went up and i was loosing speed. Now it has a funny whining noise and sometimes the gears r there and sometimes not. Please HELP me

29,535

Have you check the tansmission fluid level and condition? Either way it sounds like you need to take it somwhere and have it looked at. If the transmission isnt toast already if you keep driving it with problems it will be soon enough.

10

Is that next to the blinker fluid?? lol yes i have checked that and it has a burnt smell to it and is black in color. we are gonna change fluid and filter and do something with the shift cylinder. I am wondering how i can tell which cylinder is giving me problems

29,535

you dont have "shift cylinders" I dont even know what that is. You have shift solenoids that are electronically controlled. If one of those is bad you will have gear shifting issues not transmission failure. you most likely have a internal issue.

275,865

For sure, a whining noise, fluid that has a burnt smell and black in color means your bands are burnt up and the transmission can't hold in any gear and slips. IMO, changing the fluid and filter is a waste of time at this point. A rebuilt trans is in your future.

75,775

These transmissions are notorious for failures. If you plan on keeping the car don't bother fixing the transmission. Replace it with a quality remanufactured unit. It will be cheaper and much less headaches in the long run. HTH. -Jim

10

Well we changed the fluid and filter and seems to be working fine but I am sure that this is just a band aid and will have to replace the tranny at some point. Thanks for your help! 07' Pontiac Grand Prix FOR SALE

75,775

So glad to hear that. Thanks for letting us know! Hopefully you got lucky & it will be a permanent fix. Good luck! - Jim

I have a question????