There is a hesitation/lag when first pushing on the accelerator. Is this common and can it be fixed at the dealer?

25

Asked by Aug 03, 2007 at 10:10 PM about the 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible

75

hello, ok no that is not common, and yes the dealership can repair the problem, i take it the car is still under warrenty? if not i would take it to a reputable shop, save some money, the dealerships are much higher with parts and labor.

55

depending on the level of hesitation/lag, i know some cars have that as a safety feature so that when you take your foot of the brake, the car won't roll backwards and you have to take into account the heaviness of the vehicle for its build. Pontiac wanted to avoid having their customers pay a gas- guzzler tax so they made the car a lil heavier. Have you noticed a difference since you first bought it and now?

885

yes that is normal if its only for a split second because there is no cable between the throttle on the engine and the accelerator pedal it is a "drive by wire" vehicle the throttle has an electric motor that is controlled by the pcm. its also how they control the traction control now, if the tires are spinning the pcm reduces the throttle opening.

125

OMG , my G6 dioes this and I took it the dealer twice and they could not explain why it did this , but now I know !!! I was so upset because I finally got the car of my dreams and then I thought I got a messed up car , but now I understand , thanks for letting me know about that !!!!

185

Try running 2 Bottles of seafoam through gas tank and 1 1/2-2 through brake booster it will be like brand new repet every oil change or so

105

Along with it being an electronic throttle, the over done air baffle on the air intake, tends to slow air flow to the engine. Suggestion, Cold Air Intake.

35

I have had this happen once or twice. But it was freezing outside and the motor was not warm. Its never a great idea to romp on a cold engine. My advise is Zmax. Its great stuff and its not like seafoam is smokes a mo fo. Simple to perform, best done at the time of an oil change.

My car also does this. It started in October for 2010. With many visits to the dealership. They would tell me until the engine light comes on. They don't know what is wrong. It has not gotten worse. And it will hesitate on acceleration. Then when it kicks in the tires will spin and the low traction light comes on. It is now a safety issue because when I am pulling into traffic, I am never sure if the car is going to go or not. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to demand a fix. Did you find out what your problem was ?

105

IT COULD BE AS SIMPLE AS GAS SHOPPING. DO YOU USE 1 BRAND RELIGIOUSLY? OR DO YOU SHOP FOR GAS THATS CLOSE TO THE PRICE OF WATER?

525

It can b the tps censer that"s what it does when it malfunction. Its a easy fix.y any mechanic can fix. good luck.

410

Yes it can be fixed. No, its not normal or acceptable. It should drive seamlessly cold or hot - period. Find a good mechanic (not always at the dealer) If he/she suggests its normal, find another mechanic. Don't expect "magic in a can" to solve this either (unless you have a temporary water issue) Its most likey a vaccum leak or trouble with the enrichment circuit. It has NOTHING to do with gas guzzler tax or the like. That fee was accessed to vehicles that did not obtain certain min mpg. No manufacturer would ever "add weight" just to make it heavier.

30

These engines are prone to carbon build up. I clean my throttle body and run Lucas fuel system cleaner though it occasionally and it has kept my hesitation from occurring. Also, if you do not ever run these cars full throttle you can get carbon build up in the catalytic converter which will cause you to lose horse power. If you floor the throttle till you reach about 60 mph you can burn out the carbon; your car will smoke and you will smell it. Do this a an empty road with at least a speed limit of 55 mph. If I notice the hesitation by doing this it has cleared it up every time:)

30

btw... I have a 2007 G6 GT with the 3.9L with 97k on it....