Motor Swap

Asked by Mar 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM about the 1993 Chevrolet Caprice LS Sedan RWD

I want to know what corvette motor will be the easiest to swap with my 305 to where i wont have to change my wiring harnesses and everything else  does anyone know what motor is best besides the Lt1??

7,695

unless you jump up to the lt1 i dont think theres a lot to gain by just dropping in a 350 from a similar year. have you considered maybe puting on some performance upgrades to the 305? its not a bad motor by any means.

415

Id suggest upgrading the 305, maybe with aluminum heads and a bigger cam, And if its TBI you could get a bigger throttle body. or just port the old one.

I agree w/ these other two fellas. I'm about to step from an 88 police w/ a carburated 350 to an 89 w/ the TBI 305 and I'm only losing about 10 bph and not sure about the torque but probably not a considerable amount either. your 305 (if healthy) has a laundry list of upgrades that will make it perk right up. starting with the K&N air filter and items such as E3 plugs, a good set of Accell, Bosch or the like plug wires and cap and rotor upgrades you'll most likely be pretty happy for considerably LESS money invested, down time w/o your comfortable car and potential motor swap issues. upgrade your exhaust, stiffen your ride, stop for wider rims and tires...

you could upgrade the 305 inexpensively. to put a vette engine in a caprice,like the other guys say it's just not gonna do much for all the work involved.whata lot of guys are doin today is dropping 350s in late 80s 2 dr. malibu's , i know 2 guys that did that & man those cars fly.

10

What i need if i do ls1 engine swap my 1991 Chevy caprice classic sedan.Wires,trans etc

10

Up,My chevy is orginal, 305 TBI engine,hydramatic 4L60 tranny.I think i cant use my 4L60 tranny if i do Ls1 swap.Mark help please!I can repair cars,weld etc,But i dont know details what ineed..Mark help please!I

10

I would also like some help with my caprice I have. 84 caprice classic and want to know what's best but cheap n can add some horse power to my car

Hey Chevy, I also have a caprice but its an 83. I put in a corvette servo a few months ago and that seemed to improve my cars shifting. For being a ten dollar part, it can make a noticeable difference.