I recently bought a 1993 camaro v6, today I was at the gas station and got back in my car and tried to start my car. It turned over slowly then started clicking rapidly. A man was nice enough to try

Asked by Oct 09, 2014 at 12:05 AM about the 1993 Chevrolet Camaro Base

And jump me off but it still wouldn't
start. It has a brand new battery.
What could the problem be?

And yes I made sure the car had gas.

18,370

If the battery is new then it's probably the alternator. When the alternator stops working the car will run off the battery until its dead. Charge the battery completely, start the car(make sure everything is turned off inside the car: radio, heater, headlights ect) then have the alternator tested for output.

32,955

Possibly the starter. Try again after the engine cools off.

I sat and waited 30 minutes for it to cool off and it was still doing the same thing

32,955

Can you get someone to pull the battery so you can get it professionally charged? AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts will charge the battery for you for free.

I could. I'm just not sure if it's the battery since the lights and everything else was working fine. I did notice there was a line connected to the engine I think it's the fuel line, but it was disconnected and every time I tried to crank the car smoke would come out of the line.

I had no way to connect it back because there was a piece missing where it connects..I don't know if that was keeping it from starting.

18,370

Do the lights and everything work fine now?

32,955

Well, that eliminates the battery. I suggest that you not mess with what ever made it smoke. Let it cool down some more than try it again. It's hard to say coz I'm not there. Next let's consider the starter.

Ok guys, the person I got the car from is a buy here pay here dealer. I had to have the car towed back there so he could fix it. I won't be around the car until tomorrow so I can't look at it now. I called him when it happened and he told me to keep bumping it and it should work, which it didn't. Then I suggested it might be the starter and he said it has a new starter so that couldn't be it. I won't know for sure what's wrong until tomorrow, I just needed some opinions from different people. I'll update you when I find something out. It's sad I've only had the car 2 days and it's already doing this. Obviously those dealers don't care, they just fix things enough to get you down the road & then you're screwed. I traded in my 2000 Kia Sephia and I still have 2,600 left to pay on the Camaro. Beginning to think I made a HUGE mistake.

I do know when it was running, the service engine and break light was on and the temperature gauge went up to 3/4 of the way up before I turned it off at the gas station.

18,370

Yea buy here pay here lots are not very reputable. All they're gonna do is tac on the tow bill and cost of repair on top of what you owe them for the car. If you can get out of this deal I would. With the last bit of information you gave us it could be a cracked intake or head gaskets, blown engine especially if it got hot. Not trying to scare you or anything just letting you know it could be real bad.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I'm gonna try my best to get out of this, I really don't want a pos even though I love Camaro's, it's not worth pouring money into if I have to pay the repairs. It should be completely fixed before they sell to anyone.

18,370

I wish you luck getting out if this P.O.S. How many miles on it? Yes I agree they should be fixed before they are sold.

Service engine lights seem to be on all the time on most cars and I have no clue why. I'm almost sure it could be the alternator but I don't know. If that makes the car run hot too, that could be the deal.

It has 180,000 where my Kia had 160,000.

18,370

No service engine soon lights shouldn't be on at all. They come on to tell you when something isn't right with the vehicle. The alternator has nothing to do with the engine temp. The alternator is electrical, it's what supply's the car with electricity while its running.

That's true. Well I'll let you know what kind of luck I have.

32,955

I'll say a little prayer for you.

18,370

Yea me too. Good luck.

So the man has to put a new starter on it after all

18,370

Did you try getting out of the car? The starter, service engine and brake light would have nothing to do with it getting hot.

32,955

T.A. is right. It's going to start (hopefully) but the starter has nothing to do with the other problems.

The starter where it's located. All that heat wont allow it to start right after a drive. They're supposed to have a heat shield. That's why it didn't want to start.