i a 93 k5 blazer 5.7tbi in cold weather it will not start, if i hook jumper cables up it will start but runs very rough until it warms up, then it will not idle on its own and dies at every stop.

20

Asked by Nov 15, 2013 at 05:56 PM about the 1993 Chevrolet Blazer Silverado 4WD

i a 93 k5 blazer 5.7tbi in cold weather it will not start, if i hook jumper cables up it will start but runs very rough until it warms up, then it will not idle on its own and dies at every stop. if the weather is above 40-50f the truck starts fine but will still die at idle or a stop light.

NEW...
fuel pump
cap rotor
coil
pick up coil
Ignition control module
idle air control valve
tps
cts
map
egr solenoid

I don't know what else could be replaced to fix it

also when its cold (the engine) it sputters back fires and just runs like crap

20

also has new plugs and wires

56,595

Any black smoke out the tailpipe? Sounds like an overly rich air/fuel mixture. Check your new plugs for gasoline fouling. Could be bad fuel injectors (leaking). Is it backfiring out the throttle body or tail pipe? Did you check or replace the EGR valve. That may cause these symptoms as well. HTH. -Jim

20

no smoke out the tail pipe and seems to be back firing out the throttle body, egr seems ok, but then again the motor will run fine without the egr

20

im thinking of putting in another new fuel pump, screen, fuel filter and ill try replacing the throttle body injectors too they are cheap

56,595

If the EGR valve is stuck partly open it won't idle. It also won't usually trigger the check engine light on an OBD I (pre '96 model). Try tapping on the EGR valve with the handle end of a large screwdriver. If that straightens it out the EGR valve is sticking. If not, then yes, I'd suggest replacing the fuel injectors. Popping back out the throttle body usually means a lean air/fuel mixture. Double check the spark plug wires. Make sure they're going to the correct cylinders. Check for vacuum leaks as well. HTH. -Jim

20

if anyone else had these symptoms with a 5.7 please advise what you did to fix it!! thanks :)

9,055

You haven't mentioned fuel pressure. Try testing the pressure. Maybe check the regulator built into the back of the throttle body, have had issues there.

Best Answer
20

can you replace the regulator on the tbi or is it built it

9,055

It's been awhile but I believe you can get the individual parts? Mine were usually just plugged. If you take it apart carefully you can salvage the gasket and re-assemble. Disconnecting the fuel lines are the worst part. A fuel pressure test gauge is a quick and cheap tool to check the fuel pressure. I've never bought parts for my TBI's (except for sensors) I have a few spare motors and just swap until it runs! I did try the holley TBI unit but I was not impressed. I will check quick and see what parts you can buy.

9,055

Yes you can get parts. If you like working on your own wheels the fuel gauge is handy. If not just take the reg apart the issue (if there is an issue) should be easy to see. Your local parts place should carry them. I found them on rockauto. Jegs also has a upgrade that makes the pressure adjustible.

I had the same problem and it was a bent push rod. Take the valve covers off and look it would be visible. I spent a fortune on mine and it was a 200 dollar fix.