I have no power, no headlights, engine won't even click. Put in new battery and terminals. Any suggestions?

30

Asked by Apr 08, 2014 at 05:24 PM about the 2007 Nissan Titan King Cab LE 4X4

270

try checking the alternator

4,785

How is the alternator gonna cause this issue tap157?? he put a new battery in. Try the fusible links (on positive battery wire beside terminal). Check them for continuity sometimes if they're blown you can't tell by looking at them. they plug in on one side and bolt to the positive terminal.

Best Answer
30

Robert you were dead on bud. I had a blown fuse on the fusible link. Thanks fellas.

270

because i had the same issue and it was my alternator.

4,785

If your alternator fails it'll run on battery power until the battery dies. If he put a known good battery and it still will not turn on or turn over it's obviously not the alternator.

270

My alternator happen to go out with no signs or anything. One day everything was workin fine and next day everything was dead, no lights etc..since his issue sounded similar to mine i suggested that because i didnt think about his new battery as i wrote my suggestion. So stop carrying on because you helped him out and its all good.

30

Robert. I hope you are right about the fuse. My truck won't turnover or nothing. the gauages for the battery, rpm, and odometer shake a little but no ignition at all. I bought a new battery and replaced the battery post with a part from Advance Auto and then purchase another from Nissan. Still nothing. I have ordered the fuse pack that connects to the positive side of the battery which will be in tomorrow. I hope that with get the truck to start. Tap517. if it was the alternator as some have suggested then a vehicle normally experiences problems at night when the light are on and the problem would have appeared then. I am not a mechanic.

30

All/Robert. I picked up the fuse from the local Nissan dealership in Greenville SC. The parts cost $8 for cable/post attachment and $26 for the fust that attaches to the positive side of the battery cable. Total cost with taxes was like $34.86. I came home and removed the old part by pressing in the side of the gray cable which faces the front then pressed the side of the yellow/brownish side that faces the back. Also lossen the two nuts on top and installed the new fuse. After I connected to the battery, I tried to start the 2004 Nissan truck. At first the truck did not start. Then I turn the key on and allowed the switch to stay on for about 5 seconds. Then turned the key over and the truck started. Thanks Robert. The fuse seems to have been the trouble. before you purchase part, try leaving switch on for 5 second and then turn key all the way to see if truck will start. Comments based on truck not starting.

80

I think that I'm having the same issue with a different car. This is what the fuse looks like that I took out of the box connected to the positive terminal battery cable: http://goo.gl/QNlZyC The battery is new and the car has no power, with or without the key in the ignition, even when I try to jump it. An online schematic (http://goo.gl/I8e2X2) for the under the hood fuse box says that the fuse that I pulled, in the picture, is for "Battery, headlight relay, power distribution". This worked for me and my 04 Civic. Thanks Robert

I've been hunting for an alternator. I will start with the fuse pack. Thanks. I just replaced the battery less than a month ago. Car was running and starting fine all morning and most of afternoon... then I tried to start and got a click... tried turning again and nothing. Now my key is stuck in the ignition.

I have a 87 gmc.i just bought it.i drove it today and later when i went to move it it would not start.i have no lights...totally dead.i do have a new baterry.can it be this fuseabke link from battery.i dont see anything on wires.they have been gacked up a lot to,but it always ran.help

80

@Laurie it's worth a shot. the fusible link tends to blow if you jump start your car often (my situation because I my old battery was defective). If you try to jump your car and it doesn't respond at all then most signs point to the fusible link. It's pretty easy to confirm, just figure out where it is located in your engine, it's usually the first fuse box after the battery, and the actual fuse is secured with a screw or two because it's the main connection between the battery and the rest of your car. Check the photos in my previous post for a visual.

This morning i went out and it started.had lights and everything..i shut it off and.it. would not start again.all dead,nothing.tonight it started again.just ones,shut it off and dead .again.i couldnt find the fusable link .a lot of wires are not being used.someone before me hacked it up.it did run fir months before this started.anything else? Thanks

80

Doesn't sound like the fusible link... if that was the issue then it would have absolutely no electric until it is replaced since you can't have an intermittently blown fuse. I don't personally have experience with it but it sounds like an electrical issue. Hopefully just wiring and not the alternator but I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot

I dont think its the alternator cause its charging ok.well,thank you anyway.

I am having the same issue with my 2012 Armada, it's hard to see but looked like all fuses were good, at a second glance looks like the top fuse is blown will find out tomorrow morning.