cvt transmission 2007 nissan sentra

Asked by Apr 12, 2013 at 01:19 AM about the 2007 Nissan Sentra S

took my nissan sentra in to dealer today for transmission trouble car take long time to move and speedo donot workandtack took to shop that morning
they tell me i put the wrong transmission fluid in the car,but the car was doing this before i has it done so they say theywant cover the warranty do that sound right

Oh, those CVT transmissions. There is a fellow that frequents this site that informed us that the proper fluid is $300 a quart. No, that's not as typo. Three hundred dollars. A quart. And if you did put the wrong fluid in it, whether or not the trouble began before, then Nissan, or whoever it is that is liable under the warranty, has a good excuse to void the warranty. I didn't know they even had a warranty that would still be good in a 6 year old car, but I believe you doc, or was it an aftermarket 'service agreement" not underwritten by Nissan, but some outside company that you buy from the dealer but the dealer must get prior authorization before doing any work, and they still don't like to honor them, usually coming up with some lame excuse, but, drspeedy, did you really put say regular ATF in it? For one thing its not easy to even get it in, there is no dipstick. And checking the quantity to see if it is correct is not easy either.

Warranty:... 2007 NISSAN SENTRA S BASIC 3 yr./ 36000 mi. DRIVETRAIN 5 yr./ 60000 mi. ROADSIDE 3 yr./ 36000 mi. So either your warranty is expired even the drivetrain. or you bought a "warranty" I hesitate to call it a warranty, 'service agreement' is more accurate and I think you are in trouble on this. Sorry.

You must use the CVT oil. This is $310/qt. for the MINI I drive, have to use exactly this. The properties of this oil are that under compression, it turns 'plastic'....normal oils will do the opposite, get it drained and replaced with the expensive stuff, or you ain't goin' nowhere~

Darned thing has NO dipstick on the mini, quite surprised you were even ABLE to check let alone add some on the sentra. It took me a long time to love the CVT, kept trying to make it act like a regular torque-flite automatic, but needs quite a bit of pampering to do right, don't know if Nissan gave you a M/S mode which you can downshift with, but it's a kick if you are lookin' for the thill of a manual transmission.

106,505

All I know about CVT transmission is that it's a good theory. One constant engine speed at the ideal RPM. In real life, I would not own one. I found Nissan factory OEM fluid for $13 a quart - http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Factory-Continuously-Variable- Transmission/dp/B006OBXCX6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1/192- 7444796-8783223

286,075

Transmissions are very sensitive to the type of fluid you use, so it's very important to note that. That being said, apparently you told them and they have documentation that you recenlty used the wrong fluid. Regardless of it wasn't working properly before the change the dealership has a case to stand on that they won't warrenty it now. Your best bet is to find a local transmission shop that works on CVT's or a dealership that will help you on the cost of replacing. I say replacing vs rebuilding is most shops and or dealerships won't or can't rebuild the CVT's and replacement is your only option. But research and ask around if you can avoid this. I'm with tenspeed, I will never own a vehicle with a CVT.

Yep, Tom is spot on. They don't know how.. unless the mechanic has taken a training seminar or something like that specifically on CVT's.. then he can make a fortune because not many have

CVT seemed to be dripping at the seal, Tirepros did not know what to do with it, they couldn't even order the correct fluid, wish it was $16/qt. but the MINI site says MINI CVT oil is $310/qt. just runnin' low---till fail.

You know BMW used the CVT on the MINI's for like four years then switched back to a five speed you'll find in a Cooper S....actually because my wife's payin' for it have come to love it's quirkiness~ have to handle this gently, or get your neck jerked~

drspeedy;no tom they told me there mechanic say i put the wrong transmission fluid in the trans i put full synthetic for nissan transmission vacuoline now you tell me tom what you say about that?

drspeedy, if you've ever gotten any cvt oil on your fingers you'd feel it's different, goes plastic under compression, is not just plumb slippery-

30

Dont listen to these other people this exact same thing happened to me with my 2007 Nissan Sentra I have had nothing but problems with it. They told me I used the wrong fluids and when I spoke with Nissan directly they told me to have the dealer send the fluid to a lab to get tested and they did and the right fluid was in there. Nissan had to pay for it. As for the warranty these people are again wrong the CVt transmission warranty was changed from 5yr/60,000 to 10yr/120,000 that was why mine was covered. I reccomend if you eant to keep your car that you have them send the fluids to the lab. Then again they fixed my transmission and put a new one in and I found out today after my check engine light went on ghat I need another new transmission and this one only was 2 years old. Best of luck to you!