Battery/ alternator

Asked by Jul 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM about the 2007 Nissan Maxima SE

I have a 2007 Nissan maxima, the other night when driving home I noticed the battery
light and brake light flashing irregularly bout 10 miles for home my car started dropping
acceleration, I was getting nothing out of my gas pedal.  After I pulled over the car then
continued to lose power slowly as my hazard lights and others were on. So not sure of
the issues , while examining the alternator I noticed a bracket on the top of the alternator
that was sheared off and an empty bolt hole on the front passenger side of the engine
which seems to have oil in it or leaking oil A small bit. First question is does that bracket
mount to the bolt hole on the engine,,,, second is does that bolt also some sort of oil
plug? The bracket sheared was stamped with  6174

I think we have two separate issues here...the alternator is on the top of the engine...the oil drain plug is on the are the engine mounts, cause this shearing activity may have been caused by forces transferring the forces through this bracket which needs to make an electrical connection and a physical connection---well check your motor mounts and transmission mounts...get a new drain the bracket (wirebrush clean first)....then we can check the alternator~ okay?

1 out of 1 people think this is helpful. know that really does not look like the right place for a drain plug...?

there is a "D" hole...the bracket is filthy with oil...and it seems go have been sheared and sawed...then exposed to moisture and rusted...there are a lot of questions and you are asking us to do forensic studies on your engine failure with a minimum amount of info...thanks for the pictures...though~

H25 where are you when we need you?

hard to tell from the pictures- but if an alternator bracket came loose or broke, then the engine would start losing power as the battery gets drained and is not being charged- and yes, it's possible that the bracket is bolted into an oil channel of some sort- engineers do strange things in the name of expediency- where is the fan belt? now, you should determine what is broken, what needs to be replaced and find the parts- I guess the dealer would have whatever you need- pay attention to that sealing bolt

a fluid connection that has been ripped free....see if you can track the connection to the radiator...that would make sense~

Robert Lavallee

the bracket that mounts to the alternator mounts to the front of the engine on top of the timing cover as indicated in the picture that's why there's oil there. (the oil drain plug looks nothing like this and is nowhere near this nor does a car with electric fans have a fan belt) the bolt going into front of engine probably fell out and broke off on the alternator end making belt loose and losing charging.

I found that the 2007 Nissan Maxima SE has a sealed, no dipstick CVT Transmission. This is the drain hole with plug out. The issue has nothing to do with this the picture... it's taken right from a 2007 Maxima

I also found that the 2007 has "limp mode" and to get it out of "limp mode", if it went in to it, is switch ignition on for 3 seconds, then pump accelerator 5 times hard,fully release the accelerator pedal, wait 7 seconds, then push and hold accelerator down 10 seconds, then up for 10 seconds, then down for over 10 seconds Then switch off and it should be reset. ...Now, but the bracket and a new bolt on, and IF it went in to limp mode try that procedure. This is the best shot of a 2007 Maxima engine I could find and it almost shows the bracket, but does show part of the alternator will get bigger too if you click on it

I enlarged your picture and can't figure out what is the orange thing on the other end ..on the right this will get bigger too

And finally, at ........they have all sorts of brackets and I tried to get a picture and when I tried I got a window "This is copyrighted material and if you attempt to copy it we will come to your house and beat you up" Not really but to that effect

They deleted my pictures in less than 4 minutes....that was fast and they were taken from HERE, they deleted pictures I got from CarGuru

OK I didn't get a email so maybe I forgot to post them engine:

transmission drain

Thanks H25, they don't make them like you anymore.~

Good morning Judge...was gone to the "Big City" all day yesterday

Thanks for comin' to the rescue...what a bizarre thing...a D-ring offset, sheared off what looked like a hack (saw) job with rust of elephant snot on offset drain hole that is no where near the lowest part of the pan---- kind makes a statue out of me~

I just made the picture full screen big and crisp and clear. But I don't see what you mean..sawed off? And the images I found look nothing like that, it's not all there or something

I wish there was a Quarter..or a ruler in the picture for perspective

the yellow blotch has what looks like tool marks in front of it~ also a dribble of what looks like Dexcool on that~

Amber Holley

What about range sensor where is that located

How do you bypass a ac compressor that seized up, in a 2007 Nissan maxima