2007 Mazda RX8

Asked by Feb 06, 2017 at 09:29 PM about the 2007 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring

We have a 2007 Mazda RX8 Grand
Touring addition. Computer reads
misfire cylinder 2. Which plugs do I
replace? I am guessing the two in the
back.

10

Hello! If you have a misfire you may want to start with replacing your ignition coil/pack for cylinder 2 and while your at it replace all spark plugs, ensure they're gapped appropriately

Coil packs were replaced about a year to a year and a half ago along with the plugs. Car got flooded so we had to the flood the car. Thinking maybe we found out one of the plugs while trying to restart it.

Deflood the car. Thinking maybe one of the plugs is fouled out or the gapping got messed up.

10

I'm betting thats where the problem is! I say try first replacing cylinder 2 spark plug THEN try going for the ignition pack. Im not a mechanic but i do work on my own cars and i always start with the cheapest solution!

I am guessing the cylinder two will be the two plugs in the back.

10

this look familiar ?

Not at all. Only has plug wires on one side of engine and that's the driver's side. Thanks for helping...

121,055

Rotaries are a horse of a different color, if the readout says misfire on number 2 it means the leading spark plug has a problem, now if it is the plug or the plug wire, that is something you have to find, Rotary engines take special plugs and the gap is already set so don't mess with it, if you try putting convential plugs in it you will ruin the housing and possibly the rotor apex seals. I had many of these little engines back in my day, ran the daylights out of them, RX3, RX4. RX7 were my playtime toys, and yes it did blow some of them up, but they were a blast.

Weedy flooded the engine. I was told I would have to reset the number 2 cylinder. Did that and it did not help. Replace the plugs all the number 2 cylinder and it's still not running good. Last night when I put the new plugs in it ran fine but this morning it started running bad again. May have to replace the other two plugs and I only used to plug specify for that car which are $20 a piece.

121,055

You may need to check the spark at each rotors plug, sometimes bad wires can trigger a misfire also bad or weak coils. I was running high performance coils on my race engines. HTH

Was told by a reputable mechanic that profession rebuilds rotaries that if you flood ond bad change spark plugs and if it still wont crank put about two ounves of transmission fluid in each housing and try again i did and car became evil lol started right up even though i had a coil not firing properly but found that due to getting it running replaced the coils and wires and had it turn key cranking in about 2 days of cranking and letting it tune itself lost the memory when it went dead on me