I'm looking at buying a used 2007 RX8... should I be scared since they stop making the car? Like the cost of parts in a few years etc....??

Asked by Dec 21, 2011 at 12:14 PM about the 2007 Mazda RX-8 Touring

I'm looking at buying a used 2007 RX8... should I be scared since they stop
making the car? Like the cost of parts in a few years etc....??

It's a 2007, 31,000miles, one owner, touring package, i'm looking around 16,000
with bumper to bumper for the first two years. It's my first time buying a used car,
and i'm in nursing school and I need something that's not gonna cost me a whole
lot in the future.

3,595

I wouldn't be overly worried about it being unreliable, as it has very good reliability ratings and only has 31,000 miles on it. As far as repair costs go, it may be slightly more than the average car since it has a Wankel engine, but I don't know for sure. I'd say go for it.

575

The RX8 is ridiculously fun and awesome to drive. There's nothing like wringing every last drop out of its nearly 10,000RPM rev range when you're on a mountain road, hearing that Batmobile turbine-like wail in your ears. But you need to know what you're getting into, first. Mostly what you want to check for when you're looking at any used car is its service history. The RX8 in particular tends to start weakening in its stock ignition coils every 30,000 miles, which leads to the plugs not getting the spark they need, which makes you more prone to flooding and having less power. The plugs are also somewhat expensive and need to be changed every 30K miles as well. The RX8 is a bargain-priced exotic car. It needs more attention than most, such as topping off the oil every 1K miles (it burns it by design), letting it warm up before shutting it off (very important so you don't flood it) and wringing out a redline when you're daily driving it (to burn off carbon and soot in the engine chambers). If you take care of it, the RX8 is seriously rewarding, very fast, and able to embarrass much more expensive cars on a twisting road or an autocross course. But she will need more TLC and attention than, say, a Mustang or 350Z.

255

Don't worry about Mazda not making them anymore that was due to emission and EPA standards. And reliabilty is good but normal parts are pretty expensive but in my opinion worth it. The car is much smoother than a piston car in the way it feels and it doesnt suffer in any category this car can do it all.

2,935

Just because they stopped making a car doesn't mean they stopped making parts for them. I had an old 91 VW Corrado G60 (only imported for 4 years) and I was still able to get a new windshield and engine mounts for it. Like with any car, do preventative maintenance and it will last. Treat it like a wife and not a hooker. L☺L

165

I would get a Mazda RX8 again simply because it is so much fun to drive! Once you learn how to NOT flood the car by making sure you warm it up before you shut it off, meaning.. DO NOT MOVE it to wash it or something and then shut it off because you will not be able to start it right back up without getting directions from this club! Keep the oil topped off and you will love this car! The suicide doors are great for putting your gear in the back seat and easily getting it out again like all of your school stuff, groceries etc. I would check around on that price tho, I think you can do better for that year. If you want to turn heads, this car will do the trick! I have never had a car that got so many looks of approval! Last but not least.... if you do get this car... watch your speed! It is too easy to drive well over the limit because it really doesn't 'feel' like you are! Good luck!! Let us know what you decide.

2,935

Very cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5FNjyaLfC8

95

not a bad deal in my area. but yes its expensive to maintain and take care of. nothing other then OEM parts will do you any good. i.e 4 spark plugs 80$ not from autozone. headlight bulb 100 dollars if you have the hid lights. dont wreck that will hurt your feelings pride and mostly your wallet. it cost my 2100 just to have some body work done. front bumper replaced passegner fender and paint. paint was expensive cause its a metallic but even still 1000 dollars just on the bumper and fender. its fun as hell to drive if its the 6speed. but if you cant afford the maintence on it dont get it.

10

i am buying my first mazdarx8 from a dealer and he said he can not give me a warranty because the car is a performance car...... 2004 cost euro 4290... should i buy or look elsewhere it has 70000 mile clocked up and looks great

12,035

Be worried about an RX8 keep an extra engine around for a quick Change as needed. These cars are dirt cheap in 2016