I have a 2007 VW GLi and I would like to know what bigger Engine I can put in there to add HP

Asked by May 07, 2011 at 01:01 AM about the 2007 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

475

I would suggest replacing your car with something faster like an Audi S4, or if you really want to keep it, looking for a shop that will build a custom turbo setup. (if you have the 2.5 inline 5, there is not much out there) I only suggest vehicle replacement because of the cost & headaches involved with engine swap: potential for handling changes due to weight added up front, vehicle reliability/downtime and torque steer from overpowering a FWD. Custom turbo setups are iffy because the engine was not designed for forced induction, and you end up with a ton of cost beyond the initial install (upgrading & replacing weaker parts). It would be different moving from say a non-turbo toyota supra to a custom turbo setup as the supra turbo shares a block, head, and the availability of existing turbo parts etc. You could get into any number of 2000 or newer cars with more power than most people would ever need for under $15k.

5

Your first problem is: You bought a vagina wagon. Follow these steps to solve your problem. 1. Burn your vagina wagon. 2. Get a honda. 3. ?????????? 4. Profit.

35

you can put: - the VR6 from golf R32, 3.2liters 6 cilinders - the V8 from the Phaeton, 8 cilinders - the W12 if you have a luck - the 1.8t from GTi F...k hondas greetings from Sonora

475

Using an AWD platform such as the R32 for the source engine for an FWD swap is asking for trouble. I won't elaborate on the suspension mod, custom mounts, ecu & wiring etc. you would need to really pull off swap to a larger engine correctly. And in all seriousness, V8 & W12 don't belong under the hood of a front wheel drive. AWD conversion is a $ pit too. As much as I prefer German cars to generally lower displacement Japanese offerings, I must point out though that the ass clown who ripped off the underpants gnomes & likes Honda had a point about Hondas and engine swaps whether he knew it or not- The engines, swap parts & coomunity support are readily available, it has been done many times. You can get a local shop to install a great swap that is affordable and mostly effective at increasing stock underpowered models. Although, < 1% of swapped Hondas go faster than my stock $15k family sedan, and when they do they have too much NOS to last for any amount of time, or cost more to buy & build. A VR6 swap might work on paper, but again headaches, availability of parts, and possibly legality of installing an older engine(?). There are 1.8t swaps that would add *some* power and be direct bolt in that might just work. I still maintain that you should get a faster car if you want a significantly more power though. Are you there Henry?

45

Maybe you might want to consider modifying your stock engine? bore it out, stroke it, tune it and put some decent internals in it.. even counting all the good bolt ons its still gunna be cheaper and wayyy EASIER than worrying bout a total swap... just a thought... and isnt the GLi a 2.0 turbo??? a nice ol' Turbonetics kit would probably give ya a good kick in the pants!! lata.