Intermediate Pipe

Asked by Jun 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier RS

1994 chevy cavalier, Trying to get the Intermediate Pipe in-between the frame and gas tank to lead to the Cat, having a really hard time working the pipe with all the bends in it from the rear of the car.  Anyone ever replace their exhaust and have the same problems?  Walker Exhaust confirms I have the right part #
Thanks

10,435

You mean trying to fish a new complete piece of exhaust over the rear axle into place? Lately I've had limited time so I looked at the bends, looked at the car, cut it, put it in and welded it. I remember pulling the exhaust out of my other car in one piece? Make sure you jack the car up on the body to let the rear suspension sag out. I think I had to put a small bottle jack in somewhere to push the rear axle even lower? I might of had to take the rear tire off for clearance too. I know it sucked which is why I weld it now. Good luck.

Best Answer
10,435

Ramps won't help. Can you buy or borrow jack stands. You need to jack the actual car up to air out the suspension. I believe i put the bottle jack behind the coil spring on the drivers side to push it down even further. I takes some twisting and scraping. If you cannot get enough room this way you will have to remove the pivot bolt from the suspension. I have not had to do this yet. Just make sure if there is any adjustiblity on this bolt that it is re-installed in the same position as it was before so that your alignment is not affected.