97 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8 if I use an AC compressor bypass pulley will that affect anything else other then no air conditioning?

20

Asked by Sep 02, 2013 at 06:48 AM about the 1997 Chrysler Town & Country LXi

could you simply NOT engage the compressor? a "compressor bypass pulley" would mean a new belt...a lot of fiddling around under the hood...just leave that bazooba switched to off~

20

It is still grinding with the ac off

okay, get a new component belt tensioner...and belt. the tensioner arm is weak and/or the pulley's bearings are worn.....NEW tensioner and belt please...~

20

As you can tell I do not know much about my vehicle, thank you so much for this insight. I was not sure which direction to go. I will take your advice and have that replaced. Thank you.

122,525

Dorman® OE Solutions™ - Air Conditioning Bypass Pulley Part # 2100053 -- orielly auto parts has this one listed as a direct fit for your vehicle. Will probably use the same belt that your ac currently uses.

115,965

So the A/C clutch is grinding, you will have to remove the compressor to install the bypass pulley, after the install the only thing you might notice is the defrosters will take a little more time defogging the windshield.

"still grinding with the a/c off"....may not be the a/c~ like as previously asserted the idler is worn and the tensioner may be out of alignment~

115,965

Remember Judge the A/C clutch is also a belt idler and the bearings do go bad in them too, my Tahoe did that to me on a trip, good thing I carried enough tools with me to replace it in the parts store parking lot. I didn't want to install a bypass as my A/c still worked fine.

okay yes tennis-, will defer to your experience....have not have this problem on Any of my vehicles...cross your fingers....often thought that a "hermetically sealed" arrangement must have a magnetic coupler...of course refrigerators are able to get two wires into the "hermetic" seal....A/C an axle shaft for the compressor...but to be a true hermetically sealed unit would have no interruption as Freon (or equiv) is able to escape through a very small area (re-charge your system) which if hermetic would NOT need recharging~