van over heating

Asked by Feb 04, 2012 at 10:19 PM about the 1997 Chrysler Town & Country LXi

replaced water pump about 2 weeks ago.noticed fan not running when i start the van or when it gets hot.it gets so hot all my antifreese n water just runs out.someone please help me.im stranded 600 miles from home

280

Your fan is probably locked up (try to twist it by hand). Other vans had this same fan -- call the junkyard. Good luck. Sorry but you need the fan to keep things cool.

95

Fan won't come on at start up but does need to be able to spin freely. These cars are known for a fan relay problem, maybe even a recall. Thermostat should always be replaced after vehicle overheats. Make sure all of the air is purged out of the system, they can become air locked. Do fans come on when A/C is engaged?

310

chew about 4 sticks of gum for a gasket, find about 3 gallons of clean or shirt filterable water, use a socket set, adjustable wrench, w/e can remveand replace, the 2 bolts holding the therostat housing onto the intake. (the top hose going from the radiator to the engine. the rounded thing attached to the hose where it bolts to the engine). remove the housing from the engine. remove the thermostat completely. you wont have any gd heat. form the gum onto the wiped intake area. wipe the thermostat housing clean. replace housing onto the engine. replace the bolts. if they are different sizes, put them where they belong. snug them with with the tool(s). fill with water. run. refill with water if necessary

310

sorry, w/e can removeand replace,

310

if you cant do that. top off with w/e water you have. when cool enough, drive until seems to warm. stop and let cool. repeat. expect appx 2 miles at a time, depending on temp outside

310

also run your heat at max to help as much as it can