2007 Ford Fusion Airbag Light. Help?

Asked by Jan 17, 2017 at 08:50 AM about the 2007 Ford Fusion SEL V6

I am currently under the Takata airbag inflator recall and after 7 months still have no replacement and according to Ford it doesn't look like I'll be getting one anytime soon.
Recently my airbag light has been coming on. When I am driving around town it will come on and then go back off routinely after a couple of minutes. However when I am on the interstate it stays on.
When I called Ford they told me that this wasn't and couldn't be related to the recall. Is this true?
It seems to have started after I had to stop quickly one day. I didn't slam on the brakes but had to come to an abrupt stop. But I have had to do this before and didn't have this issue?
I don't have the money to take it to the dealership to be diagnosed until my loans come in which could be another couple of weeks.
After the recall came out I was terrified of this car, and now I'm even more scared of it.
I read on some of these forums that it could be a drained battery, someone else told me it possibly thinks the airbag has been deployed and may or may not work in the event of a crash. I looked in the car's manual and it says that when it senses an error it will flash quickly and make beeping noises which it hasn't ever done.
I am the second owner to this car and have had it 3-4 years. I have never wrecked it, but it has possibly been wrecked in the past. However this airbag issue just started.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
**I will be getting it to the dealer/shop as soon as I can, just waiting on the money to do so.

725

No need for panic! (we don't need an airbag, we die like real men! :) ) If the airbag was deployed before, it should have stayed on all the time. I guess it is just a contact you need to clean, this happened before. You could try a parts store that will help diagnose the problem for free. If not, you could try and take a lot of parts down just to get to the back of the airbag and clean that contact... If the light is on, in case of an accident, it is a high chance the airbag will not deploy, so best drive slow and safely!

Thank you! I commute 35 minutes by the interstate to get to college so this is really concerning for me :/ If I take it to an auto parts store can they scan it and get a problem code even if the airbag light is not illuminated at that moment? That's the issue that I'm having trying to get it read. It seems like as soon as I get into the parking lot of the store it goes off. lol.

725

If they have a good scanner (an usually they have) they should be able to read stored codes. Don't try to read it with 5$ scaners like elm327 or similar they usually can't connect to the airbag computer. A good bluetooth reader which can also read ABS/Airbag and more would be blue driver, but it is about 80$ if I remember.

I went to O'Reillys yesterday and they said the only thing that they read is the check engine lights. So I decided to check the wiring under the passenger seat and jostled some wires around and felt something click into place. After that it hasn't come on again even while I was on the interstate home from class. I guess the sensor came unplugged? Possibly when I had to stop really quick that day, I think something came under my seat from the back and could've knocked the connection loose.