Fuel problems

70

Asked by Jul 04, 2016 at 06:37 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan RWD

79,195

What kind of fuel problems? What's your Caprice doing, or not doing? -Jim

70

I was driving down the expressway then all of a sudden it wouldnt get gas anymore. I pulled over then shut it off then it wouldnt start anymore.

79,195

Sounds like a fuel pump failure. Try spraying a little starting fluid down the throttle body. If it runs a few seconds on the starting fluid it's definitely a fuel problem. You can also try turning the ignition key on but don't try to start it. You should hear the fuel pump (in the gas tank) run a few seconds. If not, get a hammer and hit the bottom center of the gas tank a few times. Then try to start it. If it then starts and runs, it's definitely the fuel pump. One last thing, if your gas gauge is at or just below the 1/4 mark you're probably out of gas. Caprices from this time period have issues with the gas gauge. I bought my '93 Caprice brand new in October of 1993. When I sold it in 2012 I warned the new owner that when the gas gauge is on 1/4 it's really close to empty. My '94 Fleetwood is the exact same way. At the 1/4 mark, it's empty. The Caprice, Fleetwood, and Roadmaster were all the same car with different name tags. They all have the same good and bad points. The gas gauge is one of the bad points. As they age, they get less accurate for some reason! HTH. -Jim

70

Thanks alot i will give it a try

79,195

You're welcome. Glad to help! -Jim