Subaru Outback 2007 catalytic converter replacement

5

Asked by Aug 03, 2015 at 02:02 AM about the 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic

Had issues with the catalytic converters on my Outback for a while now. 2 times had
the computer reset, with Subaru telling me it will cost $5,500.00 to have them
replaced. I've looked elsewhere but mechanics tell me only Subaru can really
fix/replace it and the cost is so high as the converters contain metals like platinum and
gold in it.

Wondering whether to sell the car or pay the money. The car is probably only worth
about $10,000 now anyway. Car has about 214,000kms on it.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

15,675

OK, that about 133,000 miles. And, I think your estimate of $5,000 seems high. I would definitely recommend shopping that out to your local independent mechanics. Here's something that will help you. http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/catalytic_converter/subaru/outbac k.html

15,675

If your car is in otherwise good shape, I would consider repairing it, you have to understand, even if it were $5,000 which it probably isn't, that would be 12 months of car payments at $400 per month for a brand new car. I really think that you should contact these parts folks and talk with your garage to negotiate a lower price. Good luck.

15,675

If, on the other hand, you think that the car is not worth fixing, and can really get $10,000 (really ), sell it and put the money into another car. Do you live in Canada? I see you used kilometers vs. miles? I live in California and we couldn't even sell a car privately like this without passing smog, only way to turn this around here without fixing would be a dealer trade. Is that what you were thinking? Your call.

5

Thanks for your reply - I'm in Australia actually! Hence the kilometres, not miles phrasing. The $5,000 price was the quote given to me by the Subaru company where I actually bought the car from originally. When I check what I can sell my car for in Australia, the market online calculator says about $10,000.

5

That website would be awesome if it was in Australia :(

217,225

Have you had misfires in the past clogging the cats? Most times the convertors are good for the life of the car. I'd stop in your local mechanic and have them diagnose your issue, you need a second opinion. Maybe even get a price quote from a local muffler shop, and replacing the cats isn't anything difficult. I agree with Mark and get the car running again. No need to sell at this point.

5

Thankyou Tom :) No misfires in the past, this was the first time. My local mechanic diagnosed it last time, just saying issue with the cats and they would reset the computer which they did. Then referred me to their go to muffler guy, who said Subarus can't be done except by those at Subaru! I'm going to visit another muffler shop this week who are apparently pretty good, here's hoping!

59,015

See if you can get the converters from rockauto.com. With 2 sets of converters failing there's something else going on. I wouldn't replace them again until I was sure everything else is ok. Another thing to consider is if the correct converters were installed last time. Here in the States we have Federal Emissions and California Emissions vehicles. A federal emissions converter will not work on a California Emissions vehicle. The California Emissions standards are stricter. However you can put a California Emissions converter on a Federal Emissions car. Check the emissions decal under the hood. That'll tell you what emissions system you have. Given the age and mileage (kilometres) on this vehicle the converters should not have failed. Usually when this happens there's an underlying cause with the engine that makes the converters fail prematurely. Misfiring, burning oil, or an internal coolant leak come to mind. Subarus sometimes blow head gaskets. If yours is leaking that will cause the converters to fail. HTH. - Jim

15,675

OK, now I understand the figures you threw out for the value of car at $10,000 and the cost for repairs at $5,000 (which still seems high), this is in AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS, correct? YOU'RE not talking US dollars? Right?

15,675

And, is your car actually a Subaru Liberty , down there in Australia?

15,675

Since you're in Australia, just how popular are the Subaru's down there in comparison to other cars? Just curious?

15,675

Lenore, one other thought, is your car a PZEV? The PZEV cars have a 15 year, 150,000 mile guarantee on the emissions system, see link http://drive2.subaru.com/Fall08/Fall08_whatmakes.htm

15,675

Even though you're in Austraila maybe Subaru can do something for you. They do sell cars worldwide. It won't hurt to ask them.

15,675

$10,000 Australian is about $7,267 in US currency

5

Hey Mark, I have a Subaru Outback, not a Liberty, although the design is fairly similar. Subaru's are extremely popular here, I see my model and the Liberty too pretty much everywhere :) Mine doesn't have the PZEV rating, it's a 3.0 model. You've got the right figures there and yes, Australian dollars is right.

5

Just reading over the description of the issue when it was checked with Subaru last: Found both front catalyst to be in memory; Found cats to be no longer functioning within specs; Would require replacement of front exhaust sections and gaskets to rectify; Approx cost $5115 supplied and fitted

15,675

OK, what's the difference between the Liberty and Outback. I thought that they were the same car, only branded for Australia. And, you have the 3.0., that's the LL Bean edition?

59,015

Just looked up the converters for this vehicle on rockauto. All of them put together add up to about $1500. So I don't know where they're coming up with $5100? Am I not seeing something here? HTH. -Jim

35,185

The guy is from Australia, Jim.

59,015

Oh, ok. Thanks Bob. -Jim