Is it worth it to replace the engine on a Subaru Legacy 2007 GT

60

Asked by Jan 10, 2017 at 10:03 AM about the 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited

Last year I paid for a new turbo. It broke again, this time, the dealer will replace
it since its under coverage. However, they are saying I need a new engine if it
isn't a short. Is it worth trying to see if its a short? They want to charge $1,000
to see if it is a short, if not a new engine is $9,000. The car has 170,000 miles.

73,765

Something sound funny here, a short or a new engine? I'd say get a second opinion.

109,595

GET A NEW CAR...

52,025

Get a second opinion, then have it crushed. If you replace the engine you will have a 10 year old car with a boat load of miles on it with a new engine. No telling what next will require repair or rust.

73,765

And here we go...

52,025

Probably.......I am not allowed on Subaru forums, you know.

60

I already put in a lot of money into this Subaru, New front axle, turbo, new tires, battery, new coils and Subaru only said possible new engine, they won't know until they remove it but want to charge $1,000 to see if it needs a new engine or just the short. The only thing that isn't new is the belt, lol! Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate it.

52,025

I am thinking "short" is meaning short block (less cylinder heads).

60

Yes, Bob. That is correct. If it is the short block, the cost to fix is $5,200 as per Subaru quote that I am trying to get in writing instead of the verbal from Service Dept.

52,025

Sounds like they want to remove the engine and pull the cylinder heads to see if they are good before condemning the entire engine. What part of the country is this vehicle located?

Best Answer Mark helpful
60

New Jersey

109,595

GET A NEW CAR...

73,765

How did you pull that off Bob, boy if only Markw1952 could see this....

109,595

OMG, Mark would loose his mind, LOL

52,025

New Jersey is a high road salt use state. I would take a very close look at the underneath of the vehicle before deciding to spend lots of money on it as there could be rust problems lurking.

254,335

those costs are crazy high. I know your at a dealer, but see if you can find an independent Subaru shop in your area, I'm sure there are. Those prices might be cut in half. Where in NJ?

60

Tom, the problem is Subaru is replacing the bad turbo they installed in March, but they won't do it until they know the engine isn't damaged. In order to do that, I have to shell out a G-note just to check short block. I purchased a new car already, I was going to give this car to my newly licensed teen for local trips due to the high mileage.

52,025

If Subaru determines the bad turbo damaged the engine then they may contribute to the repair bill. Of course the turbo seals may be out causing it to use oil and that wouldn't necessarily cause an engine issue other than carbon buildup and possible damage to the catalytic converter.

6,845

Great responses y'all. Bob, regarding the oil seals in the turbo.. how long would it take for the oil to run low and mess up the bearings? Quite a while right? And with some light reading, I've found that if the turbo fails bad enough and starts shredding the casting/other parts into the oil flow, then the oil sends the shrapnel through the system and starts to ruin the bearings. Rockauto has turbos for 570-630 (http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2007,legacy,2.5l+h4+tur bocharged,1433582,engine,turbocharger,5764) and I would consider asking them if you give them $1k that they MUST replace your turbo, no matter what they find. Another idea is to ask them to inspect the turbo for missing material instead of removing the engine. And according to the blue "712G" (click that for interchange) here: (http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2007,legacy,2.5l+h4+tur bocharged,1433582,engine,long+block,5240) you have a variety of cars and years to choose a LONG block from.. not just a short block. How far along did you run the car until taking it to fix the turbo? If you do an oil change, inspect the oil for metal shavings. Might be an indicator of the turbo issue. Keep responding Nelsch :)

60

The turbo was replaced in March 2016, It is covered for one year unlimited miles. They agreed to replace with a new one, the grand is to remove the engine to check for metal shaving and to check the short block. I spoke to the mechanic yesterday. I also called Subaru of America. They have a case open now to see if the Turbo was the cause of all this nonsense and will get back to me by Friday. If so, Subaru has to re-consider trying to charge me for a new engine or breakdown the engine to make sure there is no damage to the engine. However, the mechanic said it is very possible that there might be metal in the engine based on finding metal in the oil pan after they removed it.

52,025

Walth, certainly depends on what when wrong in the turbo. As you know turbo seals can leak slowly or very quickly. Certainly a bearing failure or turbo compressor wheel failure can send shards of metal throughout the intake side depending on which part failed in the turbo. A severe seal loss would result in rapid oil loss and possible bearing failure and metal in the oil. Compressor wheel failure often requires the intercooler to be replaced or cleaned out. Nelsch, keep us posted as this information may help someone else.

6,845

great info Bob. I think you're on the right track Nelsch.