Impreza fuel economy

115

Asked by Aug 25, 2008 at 02:26 AM about the 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i

I have noticed that the Subaru Impreza "non turbo models" seem to consume alot of fuel on urban driving, I can barely get 20 MPG in the city.
While on the open roads and highways I can get up to 40 MPG doing 80-100 MPH.
Anyone got any ideas how to improve fuel economy inside the city?
I've already tried driving at a low RPM and filling the tank at the coldest time of day and adding octane booster and fuel system cleaner...

15

Do u do the proper break in? i have a 07 Wrx and get about 22-23 city but 40 on high way is amazing i only get about 27

115

I have an N/A 1999 2.2L Impreza Outback Sport. I get like 24mpg in the city and 34mpg on the highway! If you get better headers and a cat-back that usually helps us N/A owners out! Increased my mileage by like 3mpg and gave me about 15 more ponies! http://boxer4racing.com/ Try that site! You won't regret it!

115

Try http://forums.nasioc.com/ They'll help ya out!

115

yea, but the thing is Cairo is a very busy city, maybe that's it .. I'd say the average city speed is 20-30 MPH max

115

Thnx I'll take a look there, what Kinda fuel do you use? I use 95 octane

125

a proper tune will also help(finding an AWD dino might be a challenge), even on an NA car, cold air, and new exhaust also do help quite a bit, my 04 STi, still gets 21mpg city and 28mpg hwy, at 325whp. now my little city is fairly small in town top speed is 30. so in short, tune, intake, exhaust, and low rpms.

115

Damn! 95 octane! I use what ever's cheapest! Usually 89 I think... It's an N/A car so you really don't need that high of octane!

115

Guys I hope you don't mind me asking, but what's an N/A car ! I'm guessing this is something you type and the system automatically replaces with N/A .. so please elaborate :-)

15

N/A = naturally aspirated ie no forced incduction (turbocharger/supercharger) its free breathing

115

It means you have no turbo, which I doubt a 2.5i has. If you want something that will really let your Impreza breathe, I would get a cat-back which goes for about $500. Gives you a better sound, more power, and better fuel economy. Also, I would recommend getting K&N air filters. You could get a cold-air intake, but its not very useful unless you're racing or have a turbo! Really anything that will free up the gasses escaping your engine through the exhaust will be beneficial to you with your gas mileage and performance. P.S.Make sure you change your rear differential fluid evey once in a while, every 30k is when I do it but you could go 60k.

115

Also, just to let you know, 93 octane fuel gives you pretty poor fuel economy, and you really don't need to use it. Unless you're going out to the track or you're in an auto-x, I would stick to regular...

115

Well I'm only using 95 Octane because it says so in the manual, I used 92 octane for a while and the fuel economy was just the same, only difference was I was saving alot of money. But there was a major difference in performance, 95 gives me much better torque and acceleration but it does hurt my wallet. I guess I might go back to using 92 octane, but I can't go any less than that, it's an 07 model and I'd feel guilty using any lower fuel grade :-)

115

Oh really? Use what it says you should use! I guess the old engines were a bit more robust! I just assumed that it was a normal grade fuel that it took! Are you sure it isn't a turbo charged engine?

115

Check out http://forums.nasioc.com/ They've got every thing for your Impreza needs! And you can get any performance part you could ever dream of at http://www.RS25.com/

115

Yea of course I'm sure, it's my own car :D Actually in the manual they are talking about all cars not just the N/A ones, and it says that all N/A and the WRX cars should use 95 octane fuel and the STI should use 98 octane fuel.

115

Oh, ok I guess that sounds right! Well use 95 I guess... Kinda hurts the bank though!

35

manual or automatic? believe it or not there is a difference in fuel economy between the 2.. my 98 Gets close to 30 highway and like 28ish city. but I keep my oil up to date, and brakes up to date as well as tires properly inflated which those 3 ALONE contribute GREATLY to gas mileage.. Also mines manual so I put the car in neutral while sitting at lights and don't use the engine to break if its not necessary ( ie not on a steep decline). A few modifications could help as well for exaple Intake and exhaust.

15

so where do you live? only ask cuz you're talking about 95 oct and as far as i knew 93 was the highest here in the states. but whatev not that big a deal. i know im a lil late on a post for this so the only thing ill say is...the way to improve your mileage is to improve the engine's efficiency. the main thing would be to make the engine breathe easier so intake and exhaust upgrades. other simple things to do would be to take any excess stuff out of the car(make it weigh as low as possible), and make sure your tires are up to pressure (maybe putting in a lil extra than what manual says it should be, just don't put too much that will cause other problems),

95

it will vary on what part of the country you are in.

95

you have found the ONLY issue with subarus. the all wheel drive system will take some gas mileage away, especally in the city. the best way i have found for my Subie (96 impreza outback) use a product called sea foam. i gave me about 10 mpg to my car.

15

There are lots of ways to increase mileage. There's trimming excess weight from your trunk, avoiding unnecessarily full tanks, keeping engine fluids at good levels, coasting, etc.. and that tidbit about using 95-octane gas comes into play too. All Subarus are engineered to use 95-octane gas; anything lower and you'll have engine knocking and increased engine wear, not to mention lowered mileage. :)

35

what does the impreza turbo models do on city and highway?

35

n/a is the model you have naturally aspirated models like no turbo or supercharger

45

Keep the engine tuned... the benefit of this is keeping the car’s fuel consumption as low as possible.When driving, try to hold the throttle steady. If you accelerate or decelerate constantly it may lead to high fuel consumption.Try to have your tyres in perfect condition. If you tyres have lost some air, it will surely have an impact to your car’s fuel consumption. It’s essential to check them before starting a long road trip.Air condition is a fuel "eater". too..

125

The octane numbers being thrown around on this tread must be from outside the USA...probably using a different rating scale/system. The highest octane we can commonly get on the west coast (USA) is 92-93...with regular being ~87! For more power at a reasonable price (and higher MPG if you don't constantly use that power) you can have an exhaust shop modify your system for better flow, removing/replacing mufflers, etc... I had a whole system done for $180 (cash)

115

Its the AWD of the imprezza range that adds to its city driving fuel economy.. Even in Australia they arent known as economical cars to drive ..

I have a 2011 impreza 2.5i premium N/A with 195XX miles. I get 24 city and 33 highway MPG. The AKI is 82 and I run the cheepest gas. I put additives in like fuel injector cleaner (MPG boost minimum) and antifreeze MPG the same. But I was reading the manual and it said to add any spare fuse in the hood box to the fuse box in the cabin drives side. Three down and three right, normaly empty to engage the FWD only mode. It didn't say you couldn't do this all the time, no mile limits... so that may increase the MPG. My last suv CR-V did this automaticlly and got really great gas mileage for its class. I tried turning the traction control off but I didn't see any real gains. Theres also a section in the manual about gas saveing but its all about relaxed driveing.