My 2006 Impreza makes a chattering sound in the front end when making a turn in either direction. Dealer flushed transmission and added conditioner and that didn't help. What's next?

Asked by Mar 22, 2016 at 03:48 PM about the 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

Chattering sound in front end when making a turn in either direction.

Probably a front half-shaft (CV/DOJ axle). If it's REALLY not an axle then probably the AWD transfer case inner bearings are too worn from age and old fluid to recover from just a flush and THEIR conditioner. Once you determine that it's NOT a front axle try adding a bottle of TRANS-X Posi-Trac additive to the transmission (NOT the rear differential as the bottle advises). This additive historically does a GREAT job keeping those worn bushings slippery. Alternative is replacing the AWD clutch pack, about $800-1000 with labor. (Note that cheapies will use a shot glass of brake fluid in the ATF instead, but I'll splurge and spend $12 on the Trans-X. Another alternative is the GM Posi-Trac additive sold for old M rear ends. Again, put it in the trans...NOT the rear diff, despite the directions. You've got nothing to lose. If the chatter doesn't o away within a few miles driving you'll have to replace the clutch pack. Note also that salvage yards will NOT separate the clutch-pack from a whole trans, so sometimes it's cheaper to just install the new part than chasing an entire used trans...that migt need a clutch pack anyway too! In the majority of cases the TRANS-X is magical, so do it!

Thanks. Brings up all sorts of interesting possibilities...

Listen carefully when turning. If the chatter is ABSOLUTELY from the front then it's probably an axle. If it feels more from the center/rear of the car (under seat or rear tires chatering) then iit's the clutch-pack.

Okay, it's definitely coming from the front end. So why are they trying to sell me a transmission job? Oh, wait...could it be that that's a more profitable job?? Dang, my dad told me I was making a mistake going to college instead of trade school. Maybe time for a second opinion.

Oh, by the way, this car has only 63,000 original miles on it, and I kept maintenance up to date. Thanks again for your help.

Mileage rarely matters, as I suppose it's been mostly city, with lots of stressful turning of the 10 year old rubber CV and DOJ boots. They're cheap ($60-90) aftermarket. Don't let anyone suggest you pay $300-400 at the dealer. Same stuff in different boxes....

Best Answer