Can you replace a 2006 2.5xt subaru forester turbo engine with a regular engine. Bought the car 5 months ago for 8k. Engine blown

50

Asked by Sep 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM about the 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited

Bought the car from a friend a a used dealer ship with an engine leak he said would
fix...by the third attempt he told me the engine was blown...he said it ran out of oil

26,595

"Bought the car from a friend at a used dealership"? With friends like THAT, who needs enemies (as the old saying goes). I would get your "friend" to either fix what's broken on HIS dime or ask for a full refund. Otherwise, I'd sue. This should NOT be your concern at all. Just sayin'....

50

@Racer_X that is not a option...he told me it was fixed from the 1st time I brought it back to him from his request...kept driving the car ...oil continued leaking...brought it back the 2nd time first week of April. He said there was no oil ...he told me he was going to replace the car...then after he had it for over a month...he dropped it off at my house...call him for an explanation only to get swore at. And told it is my problem. And hung up on me....I'm at fault for never getting any proper paper work for the so called repairs...bought the car end of January from Manchester Auto on Hartford rd in Ct........ Single mom with2 daughters...in a real bad financial situation over this. Trying to find the best and. Cheapest way out. I am finding turbo engines are quite expensive....hoping to replace it with a regular engine

26,595

These are the type of Dealers playing games and screwing around with people's $$ that really pisses me off. This sick animal is NOT your friend, obviously. In my honest opinion, you have a solid lemon-law case for which you should seek out an attorney immediately. Mostly ALL attorneys provide free consultation over the phone or in their office (some will even come to you). My advice is that you do so. While you're at it, contact an Investigative Reporter from a local news station (via Facebook or Twitter or their website) to expose this scam dealer. I will try to reach out to the other Gurus on here to help answer your engine swapping question....Yes, Engines with the turbo will be more expensive than those without one, but not sure of what total cost or compatibility for this type of thing....Will try to get someone to help you on here ASAP.

Here is an opportunity to become intimately acquainted with how subies are put together~...use it as an opportunity to learn piece-by- piece...replacing the worn or defective pieces....I question the need for turbo, and probably this is where we went wrong...it's a car....taking you where you need to go...not a plaything....alright maybe a plaything...am finished here...wife says I gotta quit doin' this now because I've made it to the top...Racer_X....love your contributions...never hateful and always with the useful info------too much hate for me to be wasting time here----adios~

26,595

@Judge Roy...hopefully, you're not leaving for good :( We need your expertise, which is why I e-mailed you about this question. Wasn't trying to encourage the OP to be hateful (I'm sure she's mad enough as it is). Just trying to help her find a viable and cost- effective solution is all :) Also, this is a single mom who's sounds financially strapped and without the expertise to fix engines.....

114,295

Maur0260 sorry to hear of your problems with this dealer. I agree with Racer_X on getting you an attorney and pursuing lemon laws of your state. Just keep in mind that a real friend will stand by their word and make things right at all costs. I will do some research on your make and model to help give you some options as far as replacement engines. But most of the time it is easier and cheaper in the long run to get an exact match engine due to the computers/electrical issues involved in changing from a turbo to a non turbo engine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Forester-2-5-Rebuilt-Engine-With-Warranty- /321211264574? pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac9aeee3e&vxp=mtr

114,295

Finding rebuilt ones for around $1700 to $4000 with three year warranty. Now this does not include installation. I feel we can do better than that if we find a donor vehicle. Will be back in a few.

1795....the cost of tinker-toy...cheap.~ I could pay that off in six months~

50

@racer _X @judge_roy yes you r totally right about the need for turbo?? foolish???again trusted Don Smith from Manchester Auto Sales in Ct..I am hoping his name gets out so others will not be scammed...I have paper work on small claims , lemon law, better business bureau...I since he hung on to the car for over a month it went beyond the 6 months after purchase...another big mistake I made was I do not have any paper work except a tittle and a hand written piece of paper of the price... Not affending by any comments.. Hoping I can switch out of turbo with regular engine

Maur0260....guys that are ripping customers off do not last....let's move forward and look at differnent cars and a new tomorrow...please...yes the bad dudes gotta get what's comin' to 'em...and they always do...really not sure if they don't need my assistance in mixin' my efforts in that ~

Yes you can...and will...a credit card may have to be used to expedite the process, but you'll get it all paid off in time and ENJOY the new rebuilt motor...for a time~

...a lot of trust is put into automakers that they make a product that does not bleed onto the driveway...or leave you stranded as somehow the coolant got minimized----it takes a spell before we learn about the "weep hole" on waterpumps that systematically removes coolant till you have to service the pump~

114,295

I agree with judge. A rebuilt engine with three year warranty. $1795 is a good price. Just hate the fact that someone put you in this position. But you will bounce back.

Installation is easy...not any fussy torques...belt installation...yeah...but a Junior level mechanic with a "cherrypicker" to support the weight will do this for not too much money~ not a fussy installation....easy~!

114,295

To bad we not closer to you. A few good hours and we could have the replacement installed for you. That's how friends do it around here.

I'm in California am disabled and not allowed to work on cars anymore and my three mechanics boxes full of MAC tools that I bought on account sit mostly unused, as I lose my temper and they get ready to call an ambulance...but am a team player and if someone wants to come to California with a auto-hauler, will be sure that you'll drive it out of here~

70,355

You probably can opt for a non turbo replacement but, as others have pointed out, the total cost will be higher, I believe. By the time you change sensors, wiring, and perhaps even the computer you'll have, most likely spent a lot more than if you get a good used engine. Visit the website part.com. Once you put in your vehicle's information (year, make, model, etc.) you'll get a (free) list of salvage yards, nationwide, where you can buy a good used engine. They'll be brief descriptions, warranty info., mileage, contact info, and distance from you information on the individual salvage yard's listing for your engine. Also, while I'm no lawyer, I don't believe The Lemon Law comes into play here. My understanding of The Lemon Law, unfortunately, only applies to vehicles bought brand new. The other problem with legal action here is that the so called "dealer" can claim abuse or negligence because he'll say that you must have ignored the oil pressure warning light or gauge and chose to continue driving until the engine seized or quit. HTH. -Jim

50

@Js08016 @judge_roy @dandyoun I appreciate all the positive feedback..wish I new more about engines...there was never an oil light that when on..only huge oil spills in my garage...dealer was very aware of the leak...I believe lemon law is new vehicles also.....I would be interested in the engine for 1795 with 3 year warranty....anyone in CT that would install it

three year guarantee~...can you argue?

70,355

Sounds like a good deal to me ($1795 plus a 3 year warranty). I believe you about the oil light never coming on. The so called "dealer" may have disconnected it to try and hide the problem. But would a judge (besides our Judge Roy of course)? I think you'd be smarter spending your hard earned money on that engine and the install then on a lawyer. I would file complaints against this "dealer" with both your local Better Business Bureau and Office of Consumer Affairs. It might shake them up a bit and maybe they'll think twice about what they're putting on their lot. Good luck to you! -Jim

3,275

Two things: First, I would recommend replacing the engine with another turbo for the previously mentioned reasons: the cost of changing the wiring harness and computer will offset the cheaper cost of the non turbo motor. Second, the engine that Judge Roy posted is actually a non turbo motor, and not correct for your Forester XT. You need this type of engine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-10-IMPREZA-WRX-LEGACY-GT-FORESTER-XT-TURBO-REBUILD-ENGINE-LONG-BLOCK-/380681427754?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a2619b2a&vxp=mtr The easiest way to tell is that it is a DOHC engine, where the other is SOHC. The turbo engines later than 94 have all been DOHC. If you are in Connecticut, I know of an extremely reputable Subaru specialist shop out there that will likely be cheaper than having a dealer do your repairs.

50

Jeff thank you. Can you give me the name of your subaru contact and location

3,275

You can contact ECS Performance at eastcoastswappers.com. They are an extremely proficient Subaru shop. Here's their info: PH: (860) 758.7644 FAX: (860) 758.7646 ECS Performance 1000 Old County Circle, Unit 115 Windsor Locks, CT 06096 www.eastcoastswappers.com

50

Thanks again Jeff..I was also told to just get a short block

3,275

No problem. A short block would almost assuredly be all it needs unless there was some gross negligence on the part of the seller. The heads are usually fine though, or at the very least the cams and journals may need to be polished at a machine shop if they were starved of oil as well. Did you contact ECS and/or find a shop to have the work done at? One more thing: If the shop you are taking the car to doesn't want to give you a credit on the old short block, hold on to it and post it on Craigslist. It is worth at least $150, maybe $250 to people who want just the case halves and are willing to put the time into rebuilding it.

50

Anyone have any suggestions as to fix the car for about 4 to 5 thousand and sell it for a huge lose or sell it as is disclosing the engine and what would it possibly be worth ?

3,275

Personally, I was in an identical situation to you not long ago. The day after I purchased my XT for my wife, the motor starved itself of oil, as the prior owner had dropped something in one of the heads that clogged an oil passage. I ended up doing all the work myself to save money, but it was still fairly expensive. We looked at it this way: The huge loss would be greater than the loss of fixing it and knowing we had a new, reliable motor for years onward. Selling the car for a loss would mean we'd have less money to go and buy another car that was as much of an unknown as what we had just purchased.

70,355

Personally, if I were going to sell it anyway, I wouldn't bother putting another engine in it. Especially if I'm going to take a loss on it either way. Depending on what you can afford and your credit rating you could try and trade it in. You might squeak $500 or $1000 out of it. Same if you posted it on craigslist or auctioned it on eBay. If the vehicle looks good you might try ebay. No reserve, high bidder takes it. You might also see how much your local junk dealer will give you. I'm guessing probably only about $300 tops. Those are the options I'd pick in that order. HTH. -Jim

50

I'd need to assess the damage to see how little we can get away with...was it total annihilation where even the bearings were letting loose from the castings? is there still enough "meat on the bone" to work with? was there a catastrophic timing belt misalignment?

50

It is stil drivable , but I don't drive it, there is rattling and smoke coming out the back. I obviously I don't have any turbo knowledge. I am located in Ct

you know there is a plethora of Japanese engines on the American market because they will only run them for 40,000 max...they disassemble the entire car and put it back together for the inspection...it is harsh=good for the Americans....let's look for "used Japanese engines" in your vicinity~

http://www.yellowpages.com/milford-ct/mip/engine-bay-6977224? lid=6977224

3,275

I would not recommend driving the car until you replace the short block, otherwise it will strand you somewhere. Also, there is not a JDM engine that will work in this car without a substantial amount of work.

3,275

That is a SOHC non-turbo motor, which is for the base model Forester. That in no way will work with the Forester XT.