Tail lights and headlights stay on after the car is off on my 2006 Forrester, what do I do?

830

Asked by Jan 17, 2014 at 09:29 PM about the 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X L.L. Bean Edition

I recently had a rear tail light replaced, the next day my tail lights and part of the
headlights stay on even when the car is off. I have to disconnect the battery to get them
to turn off. It's a 2006 Forrester LL Bean model in case that matters. Help, single lady!
What do I do now?

22,175

Was there damage at the tail light you replaced?

830

No damage just the bulb was out. Also, I had a guy at a shop put what I think he said was a converter box for the back hitch to run the lights, I'm wondering if that is interfering with this particular tail light ( which might be screwing with all the lights?) since he mounted it Behind that particular taillight, it hangs down below the tail light under the fender. Last summer I was having a problem with the turn signal lights going on when I hit the brake and he had originally placed that converter down by the hitch. I suspected that might be the issue so I took it back to him and I bought a new box and he mounted it under the current left tail light this time. I don't know if that could cause my issue but I'm ready to forget about the hitch power and cut the dang thing off.....don't know what to do.

830

Btw, I haven't had problems with this until today after replacing the bulb at the inspection station yesterday. I wonder if a wire got frayed?

22,175

I would disconnect the hitch set up and see what it does.I think your on to something there.

830

I don't know how to do that, what do I do to disconnect it!

22,175

Find it and if there are any wires connected to it from your car disconnect them. If you don't think you can do it take it back to the one who installed it and have him remove it.He should do this at no charge seeing it is not working correctly.

830

Thanks for your help.

22,175

glad to help

7,735

Little late here, just got the auto-email for foresters, etc. FIRST THING FIRST:: check on top of the steering wheel column, there is a button (mainly used in Europe) that if pushed will put on your parking lights. If it is red/forward, they will turn on. It's a good tool. Push down/back, iirc, to turn off. The standard connector is taped to the main harness that runs across the back of the car, underneath all of the foam. It is below the right foam piece, basically in the corner. I recommend trying to get to it without busting up the 1" plastic push tab. If you pull on the foam too hard, it can pull that tab through, as well. However, if his work was custom, there is no telling where the splice is and you may not even have to worry about the standard location of the hitch wiring. He may have used a blue pinch connector and accidentally spliced into the positive / hot line which could produce the results you are having. Keep us posted, and good luck