Why does my service airbag stay on

Asked by Aug 19, 2016 at 03:33 PM about the 2007 Pontiac Torrent Base

My 2007 Pontiac Torrent has a Service Airbag Light that stays on all the time. I took it to Firestone for Diagnosis and they said the error code was B0081 and said the Airbag Module needed to be replaced and would cost $900. I went to the junk yard a replaced the Airbag Module and the Passenger sensor in the seat but the error is still coming on.

68,695

Take it to your local GM Dealer at least for the diagnosis!! Unless it's something simple, these other places are never, in my opinion, going to be able to figure it out. BTW with that light on the airbags will NOT deploy. Even in a collision. According to what I've just read GM has issued a service bulletin on this. It basically says that the seat cushion is probably wet. The seat cushion should be removed and dried, using a fan, for 48 hours. If that resolves the problem no further action is needed. If the code returns the seat cushion module should be replaced AND recalibrated to the airbag system. This most likely can only be done successfully at the dealer!! The bulletin also says NOT to replace the seat sensor initially to try to correct this problem. In short, take it to the dealer for the repair. You would have spent $900 and still had the light on and system not working!! HTH. -Jim