what would cause my temperature gauge not to work and engine light come on in my 2007 chevy hhr ?

Asked by Oct 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet HHR LS

Tom Torres

get ur car scaned for codes but i will take a chance and and say it is possibly p0128 or something like that for coolant temp below regulating threshold which means either temp sensor or new t stat let me know what the codes r plz

I had the same problem. In fact, I had my thermostat replaced 3 times in 1 year. This lead me to re-think the problem. I had the same code p0128, low temp threshold. I couldn't imagine received 3 faulty thermostats. The final result was the Engine Coolant temperature sensor was faulty. It was sending low read reading to the onboard computer. Since the coolant temp sensor was replaced, no problems.

Kevin Robinson

electric connection or sensor problem , if the ecm cant get a proper temp reading it turns engine light on

I had the same type of problem but mine was eratic working some times not working and a check engine light. I found the temp sending sensor and messed with the connection and wires and haven't had that problem ever again.

I had same intermittent issue, plus while it was happening, my remote start would not work. I replaced sensor and checked all wires but problem persisted. This year I replaced the factory wheels with custom wheels which forced me to replace the tire pressure sensors. That cured the problem. Somehow that was fooling and sending bad info to the computer, causing this annoying problem.

Nikki McCarthy

i have the same prob i replaced the sensor and broke it off when replacing it now the check engine light is on. and my fans run constancly

Jose Luis Lopez

I have the same problem with my jetta 03 i just replaced the coolant sencor and still doesnt mark the temp

I am having the same problem. Only this morning on the way to work I ran over a piece of metal, sensor stopped working and check engine light came on? Is there a way that the metal could have hit the sensor?

I just bought a 2006 HHR. I only had iita couple of days of having it it red line on the temperature. I had my nephew flush it out for me and put new antifreeze in it.it also was a sensor I believe. but now its overheating again any suggestions??

Duttie Be Good Grogan

My meddle just lie flown pass hot

ive got for my chevey uplander temp. gauge not working but i still have hot air working and the fan going into overtime itll never stop so im not sure what the problem is is it relay switch or is it fuse, or is it thermosat plz help

I have a 2008 HHR. I found out why my car would shut down completely leaving my keys stuck in the ignition...RECALL! I wish I'd known this before my purchase. Now my problem is the a/c and engine light. I see the previous experiences from others so I will replace the sensory. Fingers crossed!

New2cars: u need to get that fix asap, otherwise u have d problem i had, mine did exactly like u desribed except it also killed d battery n my car decided to drive itself off downhill..weird..luckily brake was ok, but its fixed now n if d battery died make sure they wont charge u for replacing battery like they did with me but gm took care of that already, also pay attention incase d steering wheel gone dead, happened to me n its hard to menuever but that too took care by gm as well....but now my ect gone bad that caused d ac to not kicked in n temp gage flatliner..

I had the same issue with the temp not reading and A/C not working on 2009 HHR. No needle gauge reading and --- reading for on board computer for engine temperature. I replaced the temperature sensor located on drivers side towards rear of engine (make sure to let engine cool down and use a drip pan) and it was still not working. I read how the on board computer can be tricked if any of the other other sensors are not working. I had a low tire pressure, so i filled the tire to specs. Still not fixed, and now the check engine light was on. I drove to the Auto Zone where I bought the temp sensor for $25 to get that code read. On the way there, the temp began to read, both needle gauge and onboard computer. The A/C was now working and now all I needed was a check engine light reading (TEMP SENSOR/THERMOSTAT). The parts associate told me to disconnect the battery to reset it. I drove it for a few more miles to make sure everything was still working well and the check engine light disappeared. At least now I know its got a new sensor and that my tires are properly inflated... :)

I've replaced the sensor but it did not help .What do I try next