Looking for a cooling diagram for a 2007 Freestar

Asked by Jul 26, 2019 at 07:30 PM about the 2007 Ford Freestar SE

Neighbors started smoking and smelling like antifreeze.  So she pulled up and asked me to take a look at it.  Her reserve reservoir was completely empty.  As I didn't have any extra, I filled her reservoir up with water from a hose (after getting her permission and informing her to get the radiator flushed and refilled,) had her start the vehicle and saw the problem right off the bat.  On the left side of the motor, there is a hose connection that came completely off (wasn't able to see much due to how dark it was an covered in hot coolent and water.  Only thing is, I can't find a diagram of the cooling system for the vehicle to figure out which hose it is (looks to be a one inch, metal capped hose) to give her an idea of the replacement costs.  If anyone has an idea where I can find a diagram or has knowledge of which hose it is and where it connects, I would appreciate it.  

Also of note:  there doesn't look to be a way to clamp this hose on due to the small outlet and the metal connector on the hose preventing enough room to clamp it.

4,340

Is it at the back on the firewall? It could be a heater hose connected to the heater core.

It's actually attached to the left side of motor, but now am thinking the same thing as you that it's a heater hose. I would have to remove the shroud for the windshield wipers to check it's full pathing as it disappears from view heading back towards the firewall. Engine finally cooled down enough to start looking at it. Was looking online to see how troublesome it is to replace, but I admit that this is something I'm not experienced at. Minor maintenance and belt replacements, can do. But not a hose like this.

4,340

If you aren't prepared, have your neighbor get her mechanic to replace it. You don't want to be knee deep in a repair and break something else. Your intentions are good, but like you said, you can only do so much.

Understood, I'm just trying to give her an idea now on what needs to be replaced as she's not too fond on mechanics due to being scammed on previous repairs. As I can't go to the mechanic with her, trying to give her an idea of what needs to be replaced so she doesn't get stuck replacing far more then what is needed. As the heater works with the hose hooked back on (the metal stiffener prevents me from clamping it temporarily so she can take it to a shop,) I already let her know that the heater core doesn't need replacement. But trying to figure out what else she needs to look for.

4,340

Your a good neighbor.

105,725

Contact your local Ford dealership parts department to see if they can send you a picture of the hoses. If they won't help shoot me an email at lantermanparts@gmail.com and I will send a picture of the parts diagram. I work for a Ford dealership.

Understood. Her vans in the driveway, but she's out so I have to wait till she gets back. I just know the metal connector connecting it to the engine failed (quick connect?) and that is the only part of the hose that is bad when I pulled the top shroud off and traced the hose. So, it's only the one area. When she gets back, I'll take some pictures. Another neighbor who walked over also wants another look at it because if it is a quick connect, then we may be able to trim the hose due to the slack and fit another connector. But that is subject to a more detailed look in the sunlight instead of working on it during dusk. I will take photos though.