Air filter box

Asked by Mar 12, 2009 at 12:33 PM about the 2007 Ford Focus ZX4 ST

I have heard that if i drill a hole in my air filter box instead of buying a cold air intake, it would work the same and at the same time be less costly. Is it true that i can do this? If so, how big of a hole do i need to drill? Or give me any other info about this?

185

i wouldnt. i personaly think you might get more noise out of it, but thats about it. most of the benifit of the cold air intake is the fact that the air is cold. maybe if you drilled after the filter it would breath better but your taking in dirty ass air now. i have an aem cold air for my focus and i love it.

1,285

most "cold air intakes" in fact feet hot underhood air to the engine, and MIGHT increase 5 hp at the most on a car that has a really restricted intake

15

your 2007 focus comes with a lifetime air box that is dealer service only, they replace the hole thing, just add a cold air intake and that the air filter is in the fender, dont drill holes youll make something wrong happend!

35

I know this is a little late but; I recently, accidentally crushed my air cleaner box on my '05 focus after the ball joint failed and sent me into a ditch. I have access to parts at dealer prices because I work in the auto tuning field. Best price I have found is $200 for the box and 6 of the components. Further research shows this unit as a whole is MSRP @ $470... DON'T alter your air cleaner box!! Take it off and sell the P.O.S. ! Performance cold air intakes are way cheaper than an OEM, so you could pay or your cold air with the money you make. The body damage, suspension, CV and air cleaner box TOTALLED my car!! And it's really all due to this "Lifetime Air Filter" My opinion is that it's a total joke. Note: You can fab a pipe to lengthen your intake point. Custom make it to go down to your fender and make a hole in the fender. Thin expaded metal with metal screen behind it will serve as a pre-filter. If you are really crafty you can design this to avoid water kick up, even build a cone chamber to help force the air into the filter. It works, and you'll get more than a 6hp gain.

NO is not the same,you will need the cold air induction on it.