2006 ford explorer

Asked by Aug 13, 2016 at 01:01 AM about the 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD

How do I get around the anti-theft system in my
2006 Ford Explorer .I do not have a chip key for it
and I'm trying to keep from having to go to a
locksmith I heard that you can take out the IC chip
on the motherboard and that this arms the entire
anti theft system where is the IC chip located is
this true

25,195

The passive anti-theft system (PATS) module monitors the presence of the transponder chip key, and communicates with the powertrain control module (PCM), they are a matched pair. To replace one or both will cost you more than it would to just get a new master key encoded. You CAN'T just rip out a chip, as there are multiple modules that are encoded to work together. Another part of the anti-theft system is the Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) module (buried behind the left rear kick panel) that works with the Generic Electronic Module (GEM), this system monitors the doors/windows for unauthorized entry when armed. Explorer Forum has some topics on the PATS system: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-pats.234975/

25,195

sorry my post got chopped off... here is the rest; You can eliminate the PATS module but you would have to use an aftermarket PCM that had been reprogrammed to eliminate the dependency on the PATS. There are several aftermarket PCM vendors that custom tune them for performance/racing that also eliminate the PATs (just don't need that on the track...), of course this is not cheaper than just replacing a master key.

49,375

Go to a Ford dealer and get a new key, also get a spare. While this will cost you some money it will be worth it in the long run. If you go screwing around with the ECM the end result will be needing a new ECM and still needing new key(s).

25,195

FYI, regarding Bob's and my posts above, ECM (engine control module) and PCM (powertrain control module) are the same thing in this case. I bounce between Fords and Dodges and the nomenclature changes with regard to this particular module.

49,375

Yes, ECM, PCM, ECU, Computer and Bozoputer are all the same thing.