Transmission shifts harshly between 1st and 2nd gear in my 2002 SL2

Asked by Aug 03, 2010 at 03:44 PM about the 2002 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

I bought a rebuilt Automatic transmission 4 years ago for my SL2 and now it has 50,000 miles on it.  It recently started shifting harshly between 1st and 2nd gear only.  I took it to a local dealership for diagnosis and the mechanic believes that the most probable cause is a nut on the imput shaft has backed off.  He says this can be confirmed by removing a panel on the side of the transmission and  the nut can also be replaced through this same panel for aprox $400.  I would consider doing it myself if I had some instructions with visuals.  Is there anyone out there who could give  me a clue on where to look for these instructions?           Jeff

10

Go to autozone and find the repair manuel for your vehicle it should have detailed instructions or atleast show you what to look for but look it up in the store that way if its not what you need no money lost Book should cost about $20

I was hoping to find some instructions on the internet for free,but if I can't I'll check out Autozone. Thanks!

465

Actually, you CAN find the instructions free online at Autozone. It requires you to register on the site, and it's a bit harder to navigate than the repair book(Autozone's online manuals are basically the same as the Haynes manuals they sell in-store), but it's pretty handy when you occasionally work on other people's cars. I'll tell you now, though: the Haynes manuals tend to shy away from the more serious tranny procedures since a screwup can screw you out of a ton of money.

45

need to lower the cradle on the tranny side so you can clear the end cover without bending the tubes inside. Replace the input and output shaft nuts and replace the gasket if needed. If you try to get it out without lowering the cradle you WILL bend the tubes and it will be a pain in the ass to get it back on.

Thanks for the info Matt!