I have a 2001 Saturn sl1 and it just started shifting hard into third gear... I have been told that it is maybe the elcetric shifting module? Would like some more advice.

Asked by Jul 24, 2015 at 12:31 PM about the 2001 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

1,135

I think transmissions are really difficult to diagnose unless they tear them down, open them up type of thing so I would think that if you do proper maintenance first change the fluid etc what I recommend is pumping new fluid in but not using a pressurized system take a bucket with the new fluid in it connect a hose to the transmission cooling line inlet and the new fluid will go into your transmission then connect another hose to the return line of the transmission cooler and get another bucket put a hose into that bucket and start car and the old fluid Will be pumped out of the transmission and it will pump the new fluid in it's a gravity fed system where the transmission pumps the old fluid out and new fluid in all on its own no pressure involved other than just the workings of the transmission it's safer then you Will have fresh fluid and a new filter and go from there see how it shifts and I recommend Mobil 1 full synthetic transmission fluid it did wonders for my transmission try this if that doesn't work and maybe you will have to tear it down but if you haven't done maintenance on it in a while that might be all it is try the simpler fix first!