tappet noise accelerating

Asked by Oct 25, 2015 at 06:00 PM about the 2001 Saturn S-Series 3 Dr SC1 Coupe

as I shift up from each gear at the top end ; there is a tappet noise though the gears at the top end ....

19,785

Probably from worn or bad valves. It happens as cars age. I imagine that this is coming from the engine, not the transmission.

18,800

Try adding some Lucas Engine Oil Stabilizer to oil had a vehicle that was making that tapping noise added some Lucas and the tap was gone after about 30 minutes at idle.

I was reading about how it could have been the chain tensioner , if the guide was clogged .... ? I heard the engine does not have adjustable valves ... is this right ? but I will try the Lucas Oil yes of course it coming from the engine Mark ...... if it wasn't I wouldn't have even asked a question ....