My car will not turn over

Asked by Jun 26, 2013 at 04:33 PM about the 2001 Saturn S-Series 3 Dr SC1 Coupe

So about 2 month ago, my car would not start. I got a new battery because someone
told me that it might be a weak battery. That didn't help, so I had my uncle look at the
starter. He said he "wiggled around" this wire that connects to the starter and tightened
it and then it worked fine.. until now. the same problem is happening. the electrical
works, but the car won't even attempt to kick over. It just goes 'click" and nothing. My
uncle installed a bypass into my car so I have a direct switch, This morning it did not
start and I tried to click the bypass on, but that didn't work. I tried getting a jump, but
that did not work either. I went inside and panicked how I would get to work, and my
internship that I just called in sick for. Went back outside to see if it would work, and it
did. So Im not sure what caused it to go back on or what. If anyone can give me some
ideas that would be great.

correction* he tightened the terminals on the sgtarter and then checked it with the screw driver and it started over. It starts now, but I don't want this to happen again.

Joshua Carlson

My first thought is to try Loctite on the terminals to hold them tight, and my second thought is to replace the starter.

Stephanie Carlson

This may be a little late, but i agree with Joshua. I also have an older model Saturn. It sounds like the starter is about done. If it happens once or twice more you may need to buy a new one. Mine did the same thing, after i bypassed mine I easily got another 6 months out of, then the next time it did it, it took a lot more work to get it going, and i could no longer simply jump it. Then the following time (and last) that was it. So if its still hanging in there you may want to start setting $ aside for whats coming. In a pinch you can get a used one from pick n pull to buy you time, but if you're going to replace it might as well just to it once and be done. Good luck!

If there are no security lights flashing and you have ruled out battery and starter on an automatic transmission this may help. The neutral safety switch must be in synch with the transmission. Follow the cable from the gear shift through the firewall into the transmission and then to the neutral safety switch. The switch has two 13 mm bolts. Loosen them and rotate the switch a quarter inch each direction and try to start. This will synchronize the tran and switch. It worked for me

Alex Nazarian

This is over a year old.