CHECK ENG LITE CAME ON AUTOZONE SCANNED CODE CAME BACK AS CAMSHAFT PO SENSOR AND OR OUT OF TIME WHICH COULD IT BE THE TIMING BELT/CHAIN OR SENSOR????

Asked by Nov 03, 2012 at 12:45 AM about the 2000 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

NO OTHER  PROBLEMS I CAN TELL BECIDES THE LIGHT COMING ON NO STALLING OR HESITATION BUT MAYBE BACK FIRING WHEN DOWN SHIFTING

8,185

back firing would be due to camshaft position, (placement of valves), if it idles fine, starts fine, accelerates ok, then the cam sensor it is, (the timing belt would make it run crappy in those conditions), if you let it sit over night, and cool down, the next morning start normal and run normal? the cam sensors get oil in them, or wear out, cheapest way out.

Best Answer

thank you that was helpful thank you john have a great day thank you!!!!!

8,185

it is a start, that is where the mechanic would start, can't guarantee it, with a online diagnosis, lol, but first thing was the scanner, next is the more simple, cheap option. let me know what happens

1,415

The S-series never had cam sensors. That code is characteristic of ignition components that need replacing. Get new plugs and wires, then you should be good.

thanks alex i wasw just under and can'nt find the sensor unless its under the timing cover ? thank you alex i will try plugs and wires and we will see if that helps thank you have a great day sir.let you all know what happens later to day .

1,415

Yeah, wont find any sensor. Now with the plugs, go ahead and get the NGK plugs for whichever motor you have(SOHC or DOHC). Copper core plugs are the only ones that run right in the car. The platinum BS the parts store monkies try to push will make the car run like ass after several thousand miles.

1,415

If they dont carry NGK, just go with autolite or motorcraft.

31,075

Or try putting what came in it. A set of delcos, NGK is garbage foreign and autolite/motor craft is junk ford. Those parts are junk and belong in junk and that's why they are 1/3 the price of delco.

1,415

ac delco, ngk, whatever, these plugs will perform the same. If you want to get in on the pointless plug debate, hop on saturnfans.com and start ranting.

31,075

Its the fact that Saturn is GM and delco is GM. Put GM parts in a GM vehicle. Maybe the reason your platinum plugs go out in a few months is because your buying junk to begin with

1,415

AC and autolite plugs made by NGK were run in these turds. The S-series up in Canada got platinum plugs for some reason, and they found out how well they lasted in a waste spark ignition system. There is absolutely no reason to run any "premium" plug in these cars unless you enjoy wasting money.

31,075

Alex, AC delco is a general motors spark plug. Autolite is a ford motor company spark plug. Champion is a Chrysler spark plug. NGK is a Japanese spark plug commonly found factory installed on imports. Where did you get the information stating NGK, Autolite, and AC delco are the same company? Did the guy at auto zone tell you that?

1,415

go dick around on Saturnfans and find out. The fact of the matter is that you can use any copper core plug w/o issue. /Discussion.

31,075

I don't care what Saturn fan boys say about how all plugs are the same. These fan boys are the same guys who believe what they did in the fast and the furious is real. It's not about whether or not they fit and work because sure they fit and work fine. It's called principal, giving your money to overseas based company's like NGK, great idea. You don't buy a GM and then go to a ford dealer for parts. http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=WlDLybhuOH0 here is what those forums are full of, people like this guy.

1,415

lol, youre an ignorant little man, arent ya. Maybe you should quit posing in the mirror admiring your lack of definition and do something valuable with your life. And every F&F movie is a documentary.

31,075

Keep putting foreign parts into your American car.

225

So would you get mad at me John? If i say I use car plugs in my boats. Also I used NGK in my sl2 and I loved it. I used alot of American part on my teg. I use part that last longer before I use part that are waste of time and money.Most of the part(In a parts store) that you buy know is not made here in American. all I say is that buy part that you like and if you dont know look at forums before you buy.

31,075

Lots of boats use car engines the Chevy 350 and 454 are unbelievably common. My point is whatever came out should go back in. They are made specifically to fit. If you are buying parts from a parts store that isn't american made like general electric then go to a new parts store.

1,415

Sigh.