2000 Saturn SL1 stalling with CEL codes P0302 (Cylinder 2 misfire) and P0410 (Secondary air injection)

Asked by Apr 30, 2015 at 08:41 PM about the 2000 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

I have a 2000 Saturn SL1 that has been stalling randomly when I'm at a light. Also
when I'm driving on the highway sometimes when I brake it will stay at that RPM and
rarely it has even gone higher for a second as if I was revving the engine! I think it
has a low idle (hovers around 600 RPM. It had a CEL with the codes P0130 (O2
Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1.) and P0410 - Secondary Air Injection
System Malfunction.

I replaced the O2 sensor and had the light reset. It came back on a few hours later
and when I got it checked the same lights were on along with three more:
P0300- random multiple misfire
P0302- Cylinder 2 misfire
P0133- HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1

I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and coils, and reset the light and I still got the
codes for the cylinder 2 misfire, and secondary air injection system.

Couple weeks later got it checked again and had the same codes show up but this
time it took around two days for the CEL to come back on. This time it only had the
secondary air injection code pop up.

One mechanic said my catalytic converter could be clogged. Another said I might not
be getting proper compression.
My question is could the cylinder 2 misfire have taken those two weeks to correct
itself after I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and coils (which didn’t look all that bad)?
Why would the O2 sensor code come up right after replacing it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1,135

Yeah wow sorry to hear you have so many problems you know one thing it could be is your throttle position sensor that's messing with your idle speed I had to replace that cuz when I was parked it would Idol way up to like 15000 rpm then drop down to 600 like you said and as far as a secondary auxiliary emission control thing I actually had one of those go bad and it's like a little fan motor thing that sucks extra vacuum in your system so the car can warm up quicker in the morning that thing might be worn out and usually you'll notice a high idle when that thing is operating if you don't notice high idle then that could be suspect that's not working but you can have it tested other than that I'm not sure if I can help you with this misfire thing maybe somebody else can chime in well good luck hope this helps?