Why does car start at times and other times won't do anything?

10

Asked by May 25, 2014 at 06:52 PM about the 2000 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

Have a 2000 Saturn SL1. Go out in the morning and it starts fine.  Let it sit 20 minutes or so and it won't start.  Won't crank over or make any sound.  After sitting a couple hours it will start, then go through the same process.  Drive it and turn it off it starts back up but if you wait a while it won't start.  What could be the problem.  The battery is fine.

241,705

Check your Engine Coolant temp sensor. It might be faulty. Remove it, Just take the air cleaner assembly off and it is located in the cylinder head under the air induction tube. Two wires are on the connector and the new part is made of brass. The original had a plastic tip, and if yours is plastic, I'd replace.

10

Thanks!

1,525

Its not the coolant temp sensor. The no crank condition is probably caused by a bad crank sensor.

10

Wasn't the coolant temp sensor. Advance Auto did a sensor test and said it was bad so I bought one and put it on - didn't help.

1,525

throw a crank sensor at it.