my 2000 s series saturn will start but will not run in gear for more than a mile befor it dies. it is a standard shift. i have replaced the fuel filter the spark plugs and still havent found the problem please help

Asked by Dec 03, 2012 at 10:56 AM about the 2000 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL Sedan

it all started when i ran out of gas i put gas in and couldnt go more than a mile befor it wouldnt go anywhere. when i start the car i also noticed it idles kind of high for the first min or so then will go to normal idle again.

1,955

Running it out of gas may have ruined the fuel pump.

315

Check the fuel pump by having an assistent stand by the back of the car with the fuel door open and the fuel cap off. With them standing there. turn the key to the on position. The fuel pump should begin to hum for a few seconds. Then turn the key back off and try this procedure again. If the pump hums then it is good if it does not hum then it is bad.

95

you probably wrecked the fuel pump. it is very common for GM cars fuel pumps to seize when you run out of gas