my 1999 saturn sl2 just died under normal driving but started right back up.

45

Asked by Oct 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM about the 1999 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

i have a 1999 saturn sl2 and i was driving it earlier and it just died. no sputter no nothing it just died. it does smoke a bit, or more sometimes. but it normally runs pretty good. it has giving me these problems before but only 2 other times in 3 years. anyways i stopped at schucks and they ran it for codes and it came up with codes p1404, p0133, and p1133. the exhaust does have a leak by the cat. and it burns oil. i replaced the temp sensor last year cause it would barely run and that fixed that. i ran a can of seafoam down the intake last week, pissed my neighbors off pretty good. but my girlfriend drives it most of the time and i dont want it happening to her while im at work. it happened once when she couldnt get it to start and when i got to it that night i held the petal to the floor for about ten seconds while i cranked it. and it went into a rough idle with the pedal still to the floor and it slowly came up and ran great. any ideas would be great.

32,425

Pedal to the floor put it into clear flood mode which prevents the injectors from opening while cranking. Its like holding your foot to the floor on an old carbureted engine when starting it. Anyways when was it last tuned up and how often do you have to add oil?

40

check the coolant temp sensor connector for corrosion, alot of times when the sensor fails, they leak coolant into connector and cause corrosion. connector needs to be replaced and are available at part stores. also check that the thermostat is working properly, if failing can cause the same issues as the temp sensor. if its really a 99, also check fuel presure, if it drops off after key on inital prime then suspect the fuel filter, the filter on the 99 and newer s series have the fuel pressure regulator built into them, that why their a bit more expensive