Drive Train Life Expectancy

225

Asked by Nov 24, 2010 at 02:11 PM about the 1999 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

I have 1999 Saturn SL2 with 205,000 as the original engine.
Am I living on borrowed time with this baby?
What is the typical life expectancy on the 1.9L DOHC LLO?
What is the typical life expectancy on a 5 speed manual tranny?

535

It depends a lot on your driving. My '95 SL1 is due for an engine rebuild at 140,000, but that's because of numerous autocross races on it, combined with a tendency of tromping on the throttle while it's still cold and an overall driving style similar to a criminal with flashing lights in the mirror. On the other hand, my friend, someone who has a heavy lead foot, but is otherwise gentle, is at 350,000 in a '97 SL2. If you look hard enough, you'll hear people who know of pig farmers pushing 800,000 on the original engine. I think the approximate lifespan is 400,000, but I'm pulling that number out my rear. Ultimately, if you love your motor well enough, it will love you back for a lot more miles. Just take care of it, and don't run it low on oil.

285

If you take good care of it. Dont hot rod it. Change the oil in over 3000 miles. DON"T lat it over heat It will miss your head and sometime block up(crack or cracks). That how i get my so cheap.lol... I payed more for the motor then the car. I have seen one sc2 (some motor and tranny) with 347,000+ on it. It was original motor and tranny. The guy take realy good care of it and babied it ever where. You do have one of the best LLO motor you can get. Also dont lat the oil get real low or you wil broke the gear on one of the cams, valves, or a rod.

535

And, as far as the tranny goes, unless you repeat my mistake of shifting when you shouldn't (70-80MPH in first gear is a bad idea, Fortunately, only the 3 month old clutch exploded, and I don't really need synchros for first gear), it should live at least as long as the motor, if not longer. The only thing that really wears over time is the synchromesh, and that is more from driving style than anything.

50

dohc have a tendency to drop rod bearings on higher miles, the manual trans should out last the rest as long as you don;t do a lot of burnouts. it will sheir the roll pin holding the differental pin in place which will eventually eat through the case