I have been having an odd problem that sometimes my car will not start at all. I'll turn the key and nothing will happen, but my lights and radio and all my electronics still work. Any ideas?

5

Asked by Apr 30, 2015 at 09:43 AM about the 1999 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

The first time it happened I had it towed to a shop and it started for them and they could
not find a problem. Since then it has happened 2 more times. Once it started for me after
about 5 minutes of trying, and the other time I had to roll it a few feet back and forth before
it started. Any ideas what could be causing this?

7,885

have you checked ur battery terminals for broken wires or corrosion

39,795

Sounds like your starter is on it's way out. If it's the original, then it has done it's job very well. It will eventually leave you stranded. Change it out sooner than later.

Best Answer
39,795

Forgot to mention, if starter is fairly new, you may have a faulty neutral safety switch. If it has a no start issue again, try taking the shift lever and move it from N to D a few times while holding the key to the start position. If it fires up while doing that, you will need a new neutral safety switch.

50

I am having the same problem! I think it is my starter relay!!! Try that!!

50

I just can not locate it!!!!!

39,795

I think it's behind the drivers side kick panel. Just remove it and look for a couple of little black boxes about 1 inch square. There may be two. A heater relay, and a starter relay.

5

It just did it again, and I went around the corner, had a margarita, came back and it stared right up! LOL! I'll check the starter relay and the "neutral safety switch" thing. I'm sure the battery is fine, it looks brand new and has been tested. The first place I took it to looked at the starter and they couldn't find a problem with it either.

5

The garage I took it to replaced the starter, so we'll see. So far so good!

5

I don't know if I already submitted my answer to this, but I have the same problem. When I turn the key over nothing but radio and everything works. What I do is turn the key to the on one position put my foot on the brake take it out of park put it back in park and then crank it. Works every time. Now my problem is my heater quit working my windows won't roll up I have no cruise control and no lights don't work on the heater. Does anyone have a clue what to do? It's freezing out here too cold to be riding around with no heater and windows down. Help please!!!

39,795

Stacey, check your fuses and relays. If those appear good, you may need to bring it to a garage to have them further diagnose the issue. You can go to Youtube, and there are videos on how to bypass the window switch. But that will do you no good if your window motor has failed. Tearing your door apart to test everything is not what you will want to do if it's parked out in the snow.

5

Thank you. I am taking it to be looked at today. I've been told its the bcm. A bad wire that runs from the battery the body. The brain and so on. So I've decided to take it to a shop.