RPM too high,please help

Asked by Nov 04, 2013 at 02:12 PM about the 1999 Saturn S-Series 3 Dr SC1 Coupe

I have request before earlier in the year about the car running so high on my 99 Saturn with a 5 speed manul transmission .,, When the car first starts up , the RPM idles up to around 18,000 , which that is normal for cold start , after it warms up it idles down to 9,000 , now that's a perfect smooth running car , but the problem that I can't seem to fix is that , once the car rolls (don't even  have to be in gear) the RPM idles up to 18,000 or more ,whenever I'm driving the car down the road and press in the clutch to shift gears the RPM  can go as high as 30,000,so I have to ease out the clutch while it's in gear to try to keep the plate from rubbing.   Their is no engine light or no trouble code .,, the things I have done to it is replace the TPS,IAC,PVC valve, spark plug, and core pack, check the vacuum hose, clean the throttle body,. I WILL SAY THAT IT'S BEEN NEEDING A CLUTCH FOR A YEAR OR MORE,I like to take care of the running before I take it to the  grauge  ( I have work on  a lot of automobile, but I'm not smart mechanic) but is it possible that it could be the clutch and or the pressure plate. ,,,,,,,, please help me out here..

7,505

If this car is fuel injected I would have you first check for codes and then replace the "IAC" (Idle Air Controller) or "ISC" (Idle Speed Controller) depending on what name it goes by. The IAC or ISC is located on the throttle body housing and is nothing more then an electronic choke for the EFI system. By your description I would say it is not operating correctly (read broken) which causes the great fluctuation in RPM's. If your auto is still a carbureted vehicle, then I would have you check either the electric (or the wire leading to it is damaged) and last if the electric choke works then have the carburetor rebuilt.