Why is my frozen car overheating?

Asked by Dec 01, 2014 at 07:35 AM about the 1998 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SW2 Wagon

I have a 1998 Saturn SW2. It was sitting for 4 days in cold weather. I went out yesterday and ran it for 15 minutes and noticed the temp gauge showed a little warm but this car has been heating up well since I got it so no concern. I got up this morning to go to work. It was -3. and the engine was hot but the heater blew ice cold after 15 minutes of running and a trip to the corner for gas. Coolant reservoir is full and warm. I just bought this car and had a dealership do a "safety inspection" and coolant wasn't brought up as an issue. I put a new starter in last weekend and replaced the belt the weekend before. I have it sitting in my garage now waiting for me to work on it. What could the possible problems be?

The problem? Well, it's like this....GM never built excitement...instead they built excrement. Sorry that you were the victim. Trade 'er in for a 4WD Toyota RAV4...that's the score...and you'll be crying no more! Boom! Like Thunder!

33,375

Or have the thermostat replaced. Oh and J.R. is right.

I have been driving Saturn for years and I call it my 'Lego Car' I can fix most things including body work myself which has saved me thousands of dollars over the years. Lots of room to work and fairly user friendly. Thank you BoholMark