1998 saturn sc2 rebuilt engine 500 miles. It overheated from a faulty thermostat so I had the the head and gasket redone but now the air compressor doesn't turn on the clutch doesn't engage?

25

Asked by Jul 11, 2014 at 08:53 AM about the 1998 Saturn S-Series 2 Dr SC2 Coupe

It worked excellent before it
overheated?

116,595

You talking about the ac compressor? If so could just be low on freon. Also check all electrical connections and fuses. Might get lucky and just be something unhooked or blown fuse.

25

Thank you I had that done yesterday by a ac shop but he said my compressor was damaged from overheating the engine? I need a second opinion , is this possible?

264,475

Sure it's possible, find another local mechanic to diagnose the issue.

24,035

Your car is a '98- that makes the compressor goin' on 20 years old? I don't think the overheating ruined it- that thing just done wore out- and it doesn't matter WHAT did it, anyway- you will have to pay to stay cool-

25

Thank you very much for your response.

25

I found the answer it took me a few hours but I found the problem. My 1998 saturn sc2 has an option for the electrical connection on the wire harness. It has 2 options they both lock into place perfectly. One has a yellow wire and red wire. Which is the one tha was installed the other has one green wire and it's the connection that's was hidden. It was tucked back inside behind the headlights wires on the passenger side. The mechanic at the shop didn't see there was 2 and connected the wrong terminal. I swapped them and the ac clutch engaged. Problem solved.