Upgrades??

45

Asked by May 07, 2010 at 10:03 PM about the 1997 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

Are there any upgrades for this car that would make it more bearable? Like a short throw shifter? anti-roll bars? or any subtle engine tweaks out there?

45

Forgot to mention its a 97 saturn sl1 SOHC 1.9

95

I got an SL2 and all I think it needs to have amazing handleing is front and rear strut bars and stiffer springs. I've also heard the throttle body off a Geo Storm LSi is a perfect fit. You can get better throttle body response from that.You can also put an air intake on it to improve drivablitiy. Mine idles and accelerates more smoothely then before I put my Weapons Racing air intake on. Not to mention a increase in performance and when i'm not driving like a maniac I get 3 mpg increase. There are short throw shifters out there for it but i haven't found Anti- roll bars. The suspension setup is completely different from what I'm used to. It might be an older style since they all have the same engines (91-99). Personally, I don't think the SL1 is worth the time or money when it comes to upgrades.

45

I agree with you on upgrading the sl1. But if it's a few bucks and easy to install. I wouldn't mind getting a short throw shifter I've heard of some oem cut down shifter. That's not what I want.

95

TWM Performance makes a short shifter for the saturn ion it might fit the sl.

95

fidanza camshaft gears $100.31

45

Camshafts are on the far stretch of things I'm willing to do to this car. With 100hp I doubt cams will be worth taking the time and money to install. The car serves it's pourpose so I'll leave it as it is and mantain it until I no longer have a use for the car. Thanks for the tips though!