My 1996 Saturn SL shut down as I was backing up tonight. I have lights and radio, the ignition turns over, but that's about it.

Asked by Mar 13, 2015 at 11:37 PM about the 1996 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

1,005

Have you checked the connections to your battery are they corroded? if they are I would clean them and start there with the battery. Also make sure your terminals are tight on the battery that's very important to otherwise you could probably take it to an auto shop like maybe Sears or some place and they can do a full diagnostic on your starter or alternator ignition etc like a full starting circuit test for like 15 and 20 dollars.

Thanks so much!! Gives me a place to start. I don't drive the car very much, only 142K miles and its 18. I've had a problem with the alternator in the past as a result. Funny, I was just thinking the other day how well its been doing.

1,005

Right good luck keep me updated :)

RIP little Saturn. It had no compression and the timing belt stretched and bent one of the cylinders. Needs a new engine and with a 3500-4500 price tag, mom has to say no this time. Almost a full tank of gas, too. Dang.

1,005

Wow sorry to hear about the little Saturn that's too bad you might be able to get the engine rebuilt for half that price you might want to shop around for that could be 1500 dollars or something like that I don't know where you live but that might be a good price for a rebuilt engine yeah usually on these engines I have a chain timing belt and all them do actually and you can usually tell it'll give you hints you know when it's going bad I guess you didn't follow what happened but all sudden it went bad that sucks a screwed up engine well if you decide to rebuild let me know sorry to hear about this good luck!