My back doors on 1996 Saturn SL1 will not open. How do I open them?

Asked by Jul 03, 2013 at 05:25 PM about the 1996 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

I have a 1996 Saturn SL1 4DSD        I have manual locks and windows.Both back
doors will not open from the inside or the outside. I took the inside door handle off on
the rear passenger door and peered inside. The rod that goes from the door handle to
the locking mechanism is missing. It looks like it fell to the bottom of the inside of the
door. I know how to take the outside panel off to work on the mechanism and intend to
do so.My problem is: How do I get the door open if the handles do not open the door
from the inside or the outside? Will a slim jim work on a Saturn? Is there a door
unlocking kit that I can buy?

70,255

You'll have to get the inside door panel off so you can access the latch. You'll need to get that rod that has fallen off, put it back in the latch to pop the door open. There are usually plastic clips that secure the rod to both the handles and possibly the latch as well. HTH. Jim