Car jerks when accelerating between 40 & 50 mph

Asked by Jan 05, 2016 at 01:21 PM about the 1996 Saturn S-Series 2 Dr SC2 Coupe

I have a 1996 Saturn SC2. Engine starts right up and idles smoothly. I think
plugs are OK. Car runs great between 0-40 mph and from about 50 mph on up
but the car jerks while eccelerating between about 40 - 50 mph.

Can you help diagnose?

109,975

Check the fuel filter, change if plugged, if problem is still present check for computer system codes, if none are found I suspect a failing fuel pump, or a TPS erratic readings.

405

i would say fuel filter , pump as well.

Thanks for the help...I'll try those.

20

My car used to do the same exact thing, I literally went to 5 mechanics. I changed my fuel pump, throttle sensors, O2 sensors, fuel filters, etc. Only to find out that it was my EGR Valve...goodluck!!!!!!

10

Fuel pump / pressure , cat is plugged , egr valve : remove and spray with carb spray and make the the valve actuates . Run sea foam through gas tank and then fill with ethanol free fuel. Tighten gas cap / replace if needed . Check plugs / wires , it may have a sticky valve . Have cylinder compression checked .

10

I am going they the same issue with my sons 99 Saturn 4 door stick , 1.9 . After. 45 mph it sputters and seems to be lacking proper fuel pressure and can’t maintain a speed over 50 . It’s loke being in the wrong gear for the right speed or vice versa . Starting with cleaning the egr valve. Will try and let you all about my successes and failures

I ran Gumout through the gas tank, changed plugs, wires as well installed a brand new EGR. I have not tried changing the fuel pump or filter yet. That will be my next step. I'm thinking it could be the crank and/or cam sensor(s). Codes won't tell me and the mechanics I've been to don't seem to think the crank/cam sensors could be the culprit. Still at it. Good luck, I'll keep you posted.