My Saturn sc2 won't start for 20 to 30 minutes after it gets warm

Asked by Mar 15, 2015 at 08:25 AM about the 1996 Saturn S-Series 2 Dr SC2 Coupe

When it won't start, does it crank over or just hit the key and nothing?

Best Answer Mark helpful

I get nothing for awhile and then I'll try it and it just starts,like there was never a problem.

What could be the problem??

I think you have 3 possibilities. A bad neutral safety switch, bad starter or a bad ignition switch. Here is a short video on how to test for all 3: If you have determined that is none of the three, then there is a 4'th possibility. That would be a bad distributor. I have had two cars with your issue. Turned out it was the distributor in my case. There are two pickups in the bottom of the distributor that will fail when hot. I would go to a salvage yard for another distributor and swap it out if you find that it was not the other 3 possibilities.

Thank u

Would this be the same in a 5 speed

You have a manual transmission? There is a clutch switch under the dash. When you push the clutch all the way in, it pushes the switch so you can't start it in gear. I would doubt that is your problem since it only acts up when engine is hot. I would concentrate on doing he starter and ignition tests.

Kool thank you for your help

wow great answers just thought I'd add thanks reelin 68

Also could be cat. Converters there are 2

Best thing to do is to take it to a shop and get it diagnosed there cuz otherwise you could spend hundreds of dollars on different components and that might not be the problem?