Neutral Safety Switch??!?!

Asked by Apr 19, 2009 at 01:58 PM about the 1995 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

I own a 95 Saturn SL2.  Recently I have been having transmission problems and the transmission is now stuck in drive.  I cant
even put it in neutral and back it out of the parking spot it is sitting in.  I have found a diagram showing me where the
neutral safety switch is, but I still cant find it.  I realize i might have to take off some panels to get to it, but most of the
hardware in the general area below my steering wheel I can reach with my hands.

hellp me please

Pamela Gilbert

Youll never find it there. Its under the hood. look under the master cylinder ,you will see the shift cable there, follow it to the transaxle, and at the end of the cable is the neutral safety switch. You may have to remove your left front wheel and left lower splash shield to get at it from below. (Oh the tag on the pic that says fuel is bright yellow.)

Spence Carlisle

did you by chance have problems with the trans slipping from {3rd} to out of gear then back to 3rd? Mine doesnt seem to want to go into Overdrive {4th} (Automatic by the way) thx -

Eric Zimmerman

That switch is for safety to make sure you are in neutral or park to start the car and does not lock the shifter. Sounds like a problem inside the transmission or the shifter unit. Some cars you have to push in the brake to release the shifter out of park - try that. Bypassing the safety neutral switch is asking for the car to start in gear and run away on you.

Eric Zimmerman

I found on the internet the pressure regulator (in the valve body) wears out and causes all sorts of transmission problems. I am getting a Reman transmission for my 98 SW1 - no sense rebuilding it if that does not fix it. Most reman transmissions have the fix listed in the reman spec. don't get one without it. Also a lot of reman transmissions are dyno tested to make sure they work when you get them. This goes for all TAAT transmisions.

Spence Carlisle

Thanks for the info