Radio installation

305

Asked by Aug 10, 2009 at 07:59 AM about the 1994 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

Ok, here's my problem.....
I hae a 1994 SL2 Sedan that it's radio keeps cutting off (something internal), it keeps shutting off and will not turn back on. My questions is, can I install the stock radio from a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban into my 94 Saturn, what type of wiring harness would I need and will I need to modify the dash?
Thanks in advance.

45

You shouldn't need to modify the dash.. I believe the Suburban is a GM fit radio and not a double din so it should fit in a saturn no problem... Just buy a wiring harness for your Saturn and follow the wiring diagram below to figure out which wire goes where 2002 Chevrolet Suburban Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow Car Radio Ground Wire: Black Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: N/A Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Pink Car Stereo Amplifier Location: Front Passenger Footwell Front Speakers Size: N/A Front Speakers Location: N/A Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green Rear Speakers Size: N/A Rear Speakers Location: N/A Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue Source: http://www.modifiedlife.com/2002-chevrolet-suburban-car-stereo-radio-wiring-diagram/

35

If I remember right, these were the same size radios. You can always check places like crutchfield to see if they use the same sizes. Some places also make a wiring harness to connect factory radios to other cars. You will probably have to buy both harnesses and connect the ends with solder or solderless connectors.

305

Actually, I went to a local Audio Installer and asked since I was there. The Chevrolet Suburban stock radio mounted right up, I didn't need to use a wiring harness at all. I just took off the front part of the dash, unplugged the Saturn radio and plugged in the Suburban radio, no modifications. All is great now, thanks for the assistance.

The harness should stay the same but the dash would need modification my best suggestion would be to check all relays and fuses and trace all wires because usually the radio cutting on and off would be a problem with wiring or a security system. so before you get into modifing the dash check the wires or take it to your local chevy dealer and they can check it out for you for a price of around $140.00.

I have a question i have 2002 saturn sl1 im putting a radio in it witch wires goes wher can spmeone help me plz