Is there a bleeder valve on the AC?

255

Asked by May 07, 2009 at 03:04 PM about the 1994 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

I put too much AR-134 refrigerant into my 1994 SL2. I'm wondering if there is a safety cut-off to save it from blowing up? How can I bleed of some of the refrigerant, so that I can use my AC when it gets hot?
Thank you.

105

well how did you get the R-134a in your car... with the machine? the machine can add or subtract the R-134a to the proper amount.

255

Machine? Please explain. I just used a valve, hose that hooked directly up to the can of 134 and to the small vlave on the car. So how do you subtract it out? Thanks

7,565

He assumed you did it the right way, those little cans should never be used to be honest. They are only useful as a bandaid for a slow leak, but can't 'recharge' the system. To recharge it properly, the system needs to be evacuated at which time they usually test to see if it hold the vacuum, this will let them know in advance if there is a possible leak. Then they charge the system to the correct amount. Does that help?? Ohh... and don't bleed the refrigerant to atmosphere it's highly toxic, not to mention illegal.

105

ok... are you sure you got R134a in a can? there is stuff out there that ozone safe, one brand is called duracool.

255

OK, I still want to know how to bleed it out. If it can be filled with the can, then there must be a way to bleed it out, right?

7,565

NO, there is no safe or legal way to bleed the system at home Go to a shop and have it evacuated... AC charging is not something you can do at home without the proper tools.

255

Thanks.....but no thanks

295

there is a popoff on the compressor if the system gets to full or is not curculating ,atleast i know there is on the 97 model